Toddler shoes - How do you know what size to buy??!! What size do you buy ?

My DD is growing out of size 5's, so she is weraing a 6. do I buy her fall/winter shoes in a 6 or a 7??? I want them to last a couple of months...

Do you buy your toddler shoes a bit big?

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 1:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait until she needs them to buy them, you never know how slowly or quickly there feet are going to grow. Target has the measuring mat on the floor that you have can have the child stand on to measure the size of their foot (I think it starts at size 5 or 6 for toddlers) and Payless has a measuring thing for all sizes, you just have to ask them, and they will do it for you.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Don't buy new shoes until she needs them. Take her to Stride Rite and have them measure her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i would wait until she needs them. you dont want them being too big and have her fall or be too tight and cause foot issues later in life!!! lucky for me i live in cali and dont worry about snow shoes good luck
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 1:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i do with my son because his feet grow soooo fast. my daughter didnt have to have her shoes too big her feet didnt grow fast at all. She is 4 now and in a 9. My son is 2 and he wears a 7 good 8 little lose but better for him i think.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son didn't ever grow for the longest time, then he shot through a size in shoes so we have started buying them a little big. Recently my son was too big for a size 4 but too small for a size 5, we decided to get a size 5 anyway and they are doing great with him. We also bought him a size 6 for later (they were having a sale). I think though if your daughter is growing that fast, I would probably get the size 7 for the winter. GL!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 2:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Well I buy them when I need them. Its no big deal if they outgrow them because I pass them down to my other dd or to my nieces :)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• They have those little measuring things at most stores. My two year old is currently in a size 8. He will probably be a nine soon. But I don't want to buy ahead of time because we did that before, and he never got to wear the shoes because his feet grew so fast. My youngest is 9 months, and I haven't gotten him actual shoes yet. I figure theres no need until they are walking. But he's already measuring at a four. My kids have dads feet! haha and they are very tall. Both have been in the 95th percentile for height since birth. They must get THAT from dad too. I'm 5'3 haha and I wear 7.5 shoes.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would wait until she needs them. With my daughter we bought her a size 5 when she was wearing a 4 and she totally went from a 4 to a 6 lol. So we have size 5 shoes that were never worn for that reason, right now she is a 6 but it fits her perfect so we buy her a 6.5 so she has a little toe room since the 7's are a little big still.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If the 6's are still roomy and she will be using the shoes within the next month or two I'd buy a 6, but if the 6's are snug or if she won't be using the shoes for several months I might go with a 7 or wait to buy them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It depends on how fast her feet are growing, if she seems to stay in sizes for a while or if she's flying through them. They do make 6 1/2, I would probably try to find that size, so there is a little growing room but they aren't huge. I had my daughter's feet measured recently and they said one was a 6 and the other is a 6 1/2, so I went up to 7s because I was worried the 6 1/2 foot would outgrow 6 1/2 right away. But now I'm wondering if that was a bad decision, her shoes seem big and her feet grow slow, she's almost 3 years old. But they aren't falling off and she doesn't complain about them, so I guess it's fine.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010