Why does Religion = Christian?

I was reading through the answers on the Religion in Schools question... And I noticed that a few of them said things like "If I want them to learn about religion I'll send them to Christian school."

Which made me wonder, why is it that when we start talking about teaching ABOUT religion or religion in general people generally assume Christian? Maybe it's because of the way I was brought up, but for me religion has always been a rather inclusive term that covered a vast number of belief systems, traditions and even cultural practices...

So, when you hear the word "Religion" do you automatically think Christian? Or something a little broader?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think of it in broad terms. I think that many equate religion with Christian because the US media talks about the "religious right" and other terms that blur the line.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• most people are Christan in this country.... but not too many other religion schools either.... most people i know who are Jewish or Muslim or what ever go to a school on the weekends or at night.

pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think in broad terms as well. So religion to me refers to the array of options out there. Although I do understand that with the majority of people being Christian, why some would assume Christianity is what someone is referring to....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think because there are more types of Christianity than other forms of religion that people just assume it is what you mean.

martat

Answer by martat at 2:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My personal thoughts.

I think many people think that way because Christianity (and it's many branches) is the one predominate religion that they know about, been exposed to, it's the only one they have been around./involved with/exposed to..etc.. Therefore, when they think "religion" Christianity is really the only thing that does (and can) come to mind for them.

Me personally.. "Religion" means the path you have chosen to follow in regards to your beliefs,.. That is if you have chosen one. Religion is all encompassing to me because my personal belief is that ALL religions are equal and valid. All believe in /worship the One God. All have their beauty, their wisdom, their quidance..etc.. So religion is encompassing of all belief systems to me personally.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think of religion in general, not just Christianity.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• To me, it doesn't. However, it may be because Christianity is what a large population of citizens in this country practice,
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Because it's the Majority in this country.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• to be when I see the word Religion I think bondage.
    When I think Christian I think relationship and follower of Christ.
    It wasnt always that way but my mindset has been forever changed to realise that I want nothing to do with religion which means legalism, controlling, traditional way of doing church.. blah.. been there done that never again! I perfer a loving relationship with Jesus and with others who believe the same way.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sad, but I use too.... I think it's is the way we are brought up to believe that when talking about religion, it can only be Christianity ...
    I don't see it that way now nor will my grandson, but I do still see it IRL all the time... for some ppl it's is and always will be
    as such...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010