Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I'm not married but need to seperate after 17yrs what steps should i take?

I have two children, work part time, everything is in his name, cannot get along with him to much like a drama queen,hot temper too much to take

Answer Question

Asked by mommacat731 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • just because you never had a wedding or got legally married in the courthouse doesn't mean you're not "common-law married" you need to check the laws in your state and see what steps you might need to take. i'm sorry you're having to seperate, did something really change that you decide to call it quits after 17 years? maybe you should look into counseling or a mediator first? :-/

    Answer by DreainCO at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Thats what i was going to say..even tho ur not "married" if you live together for so long, in some states, your "common law married'" and you still have to get a divorce. Its crazy i know, but it happened to my mom. She lived with her bf for 6 years and so she had to pay for a divorce when she decided to leave. it seems like you have made up your mind about leaving hime so good luck momma

    Answer by Brittney20 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • most states dont offer a common law marriage anymore, and most to all common law marriages are void. Just move, go to court for child support and what not like everyone else that breaks up and has children. finacially nothing can be done

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Go to an attorney. Don't walk, but run! You said he is hot tempered and this is not a good sign with him having control and children are involved. Also, get your self a full time job and start applying for credit. You will need to establish yourself. Rent a mailbox and have everything that he does not need to see....sent there. Also, buy your self a prepaid cell and use this as your new number for credit and the attorney. My advice is take control and then, you can either go to conseling with him or kick him to the door. Also, don't forget to start looking for a safe house in your area. They also, help women out of verbal and physically abusive relationships. I hope this helps some, but I know an attorney can help you move on with your life if this is what you want. GOOD LUCK!

    Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 2:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Take your kids and go stay with family or a friend.

    Answer by jessesmama22 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Move in with family or a friend and then take him to court and get custody of your kids

    Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.