Why do some parents seem to think that the rules don't apply to them?

I've read posts about letting their children drive before they're old enough or even have a permit, or letting their kids use their cell phones in school even though the school rules say they can't, etc., etc. Why do some people seem to think they are so super-special that they get some kind of exemption from the rules?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 2:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is such a thing as unfair rules (blacks having to ride in the back of the bus, use different water fountains, etc) and just disobeying common rules. How dare you try to compare what Rosa Parks did with you wanting your child to have a cell phone in the school? Why the hell do you need to call your child at every minute of the day? Call them during lunch or after school. Seriously, remove the umbilical cord. My parents used to call the main office at the school if they really needed me for something (my grandmother dying was the only time I think they ever called) and then the main office called the class I was in, the teacher pulled me aside and asked me to go to the main office. Why is this out of the question? Why let kids have cell phones in class that could be used to cheat on tests? Kids can wait a short amount of time while they are LEARNING in order to...I don't know, perhaps LEARN?
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 2:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• ignorance, plain and simple. although not many parents can stop their kids from using their phones in school, unless they dont let them have one or dont let them bring it to school.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't know, but it drives me crazy too! It's like they think only certain people have to follow the rules and that they are better than that. Like they are entitled to more. Argh!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 2:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• They are not parenting they are trying to be friends with their kids thats a huge difference. Then when their child gets older they still think rules dont apply and rebell.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I really think it goes back to how these parents were raised...perhaps their parents never thought the rules applied to them! Some people never teach "taking turns", losing, waiting, etc. Sad, but true!
    KonaNannie

Answer by KonaNannie at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Because they're idiots.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

____________________

I agree!
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 2:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Its one of the most frustrating things when it comes to the simplest things like a child throwing sand at another child while the parent sits on the bench thinking its ok -
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "I think everyone needs to make decisions that are right for their own family. No one said they let their young kids drive on main roads. It was all on side streets or driveways. If I needed to hear from my daughter, I would have her call. Are you a blind following sheep"

No and I don't hide behind the Anonymous label, either. So you'd break laws just because you think it's "right" for your own family. See, you're exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. And, guess what, accidents happen and people get killed on side streets and driveways, too.
    ceallaigh

Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sabrina, when you were in school, how did your parents stay in touch with you? Because if you're older than about 20, you surely didn't have 24/7 access to a cell phone. And we still survived!! I don't have a problem with kids taking the phones with them to school but our school's rule is that they need to have them off and put away from after homeroom until the end of the day except for their lunch period. Sounds reasonable to me! After all, aren't they in school to learn, not to be sending texts to their friends who are actually just down the hall in another class? Then if they get caught and the principal or teach takes the phone away from them and the parent has to come in to get it back, the parent gets all bent out of shape.
    ceallaigh

Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010