Would you steer your kids away from an elite school?

By Jennifer Merritt
Some commenters have (incorrectly) reduced the results to something like this: Ivy league grads get the plum leadership jobs and the rest of the hires get the, well, worker-bee jobs. Or, that we just surveyed engineering and accounting or other large business firms.

Not so. There were 29 industries represented and two of the largest were banking and consulting. The respondents were a veritable who’s who of companies. Most were large, yes. But most of these companies also hired for a broad array of positions in their firms, beyond their specialties.

Business doesn’t run on cachet and prestige. It doesn’t even run on intellect. At its heart, businesses run and grow with smart people who know their stuff and who are creative, have bright ideas and can get things done.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in

• I would have to honestly say "no".. Since my son does attend what many consider to be an "Elite" school.

Now.. Did I support my son going to this school strictly because of the opportunities that could possibly come from it. Nope,not entirely. Though I know that possible opportunities will come from it. I encouraged him, and supported him in his school choice because of the classes offered, the advancements in, etc.. The field of study he has chosen.

As a parent. It was not my job/duty to steer him towards one school or the other. But to help him find, and qualify, and gain entrance into the school that best fit his future academic and career goals.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i will steer my kids away from the most expensive schools, particularly for undergraduate work.
    it is the last degree that counts the most.

my kids are young, and it will be interesting to see how things change over the next 15 or 20 years.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Nope
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I want my son to go where he wants to. I will encourage him no matter where he wants to go or what he wants to do.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yeah, what they said
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Nope
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No. Where they go to college is their choice.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010