Best way to wash a smelly dog that hates to get in the tub?

Any suggestions please.

adakbride

Asked by adakbride at 2:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Tie him to a leash and spray him wit the hose?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I was just going to say the same thing that mommy of two said.That is what we do with our dog lol, we tie him to the post in the patio and wash away. He keeps still because he knows he can't go anywhere.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• he will climb onto the counter if you try to get him in the tub! spread his legs out to the door frame not to go in the bathroom.
    adakbride

Comment by adakbride (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Just take him to Petsmart and have him groomed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Don't ask him to get in the tub, walk into the tub ahead of him (wearing a collar and leash) and tell him to come with you. Expect obedience the same way you would if you took him anywhere else on the leash. Sit on the edge of the tub once he's in, with your feet on the inside and pet him while someone else washes him. Turn the actual bath into a good experience rather than a struggle.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If your dog is smelly, have you considered a diet change?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• he's smelly because we take him for walks all the time and he likes to roll in stuff
    adakbride

Comment by adakbride (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'd teach him to get in and out of the tub on command and then give him a bath. My 80 pound dog was killing my back when we first got him because I would have to lift him into the tub. I sat in the bathroom with him and lured him into the dry tub with treats. When he was comfortable with that I started having him do some of his tricks and what not. Eventually I would have him to this when the tub was wet. It did not take me long to teach this and now he gets in when I ask takes a bath and gets out when I tell him to.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would try like several other posters have suggested and work with him slowly building his confidence up with getting into the tub. Until you have got him where you can bathe him I would suggest taking him to a groomer to have him bathed. Most dogs behave much differently for other people, then they do for their owners, alot like children. While I would not suggest going to a Petsmart as I have heard from many new customers of mine stories that are not so good.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 12:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Leash him to something and wash him outside with the hose. Or you can take him to your local petco store and they can wash him for you, then you don't have to worry bout it. :)
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 2:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010