Disciplining a 2 1/2 yo

My son is ALLOT of work complared to most of my friend's kids. He is nonstop and does not listen for crap! I have done it all from time outs, spanking, looking straight into his face and talking, reward charts, rewards you name it!!! NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works! I sooo don't want to have that horribly behaved child. I used to be a teacher in the inner city and my students were better behaved for me than my own kid....I really need some help...it's too stressfull for me. I hate taking him ANYWHERE because he runs in the road and won't hold man hand.....

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 2:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get one of those back packs with a tie on it to keep him close by... also when i was a kid and i would start to cry over a toy or something at a store my father would put the cart back and not buy anything or get me anything and take me straight home. i learned not to cry or anything in public. sounds like you need to take away all his stuff and not give it back until he has behaved for at least a week straight and listen to you. tough love works
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Are you talking all toys? I am not sur ehow to go about that seeing as his play room is an extensionof our kitchen and it is totally full and no way to gate it off..suggestions?
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Have you tried taking away his toys? I had to do that a few times with my son cause nothing was working. Normally sitting in the corner facing a wall works but he was just not having it so I took the toys he wasn't being nice with away. Also when my son gets beyond wild,which he does we go outside for an hour and I have him run or just get his scooter and go up and down the drive way. My son will be 3 in 3 weeks.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yea...I was NEVER a person that wanted to spank but when nothing else worked I resorted which obviously didn't work...Now I feel guilty but EXTREMELY frustrated!!!
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sounds like How I feel - my son is a BILLION times harder than other kids I have been around or raised with - its called Strong willed.. I have gotten many books which have helped ME to better understand his temperment so its not so hard all US.. I found myself thinking things a parent shouldn't about their own child and actually learning about this has bonded me closer with him than I ever thought possible.!! and then some.. it doesn't mean its a problem solved though - he still will and DOES test me on every moment he can, no phases passes that isn't a struggle or battle - but I guess I've learned tools on how to better talk to him in a way he can understand, as you probably know, he's far from dumb, if anything far smarter than we give them credit for - email me if you want to chat at all
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i have a difficult 2 1/2 yo too. we do timeouts, and i will spank the back of his hand too. i can 't keep him in a time out without hovering over him the whole time (which kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?), i can't keep him in his room he can remove the childproof door covers. i am sticking with the time outs. i know consistency is the key...and that is very hard at this house. some days and some times they actually work. i am hoping that one day (soon?) more will work than don't.
    good luck!
    all the mamas with crazy 2 yo boys should get those kids together and see what happens!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We had/Have an orange bucket we use for taking away toys when he wouldn't pick up or got in to a tantrum when we asked for him to pick up his toys - We also bought those things from Target which is like a shelf with those boxes that can be placed in the holes we use as a toy box - the over whelming amount of toys which was off our kitchen and 1/2 our livingroom lead him to also destroy and bisbehave and storing them has helped him learn where to put things and also has stopped the destroy mode. One and Done is also HUGE and being consistant is key.. and something I still struggle with. he gets one chance for things or he gets a toy taken, whether that be to get ready for bed, pick up toys, come inside when its time antyhing - you can't bend for one area for him or he will take the whole mile..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• http://www.lawofattractionparenting.com/
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we stick kenzie in her room until she calms down. we really don't go out with her, unless it's a place taht has a playplace, because she's still at an age that she can't sit still for hours at a time. when we do go out, as in its something we can't avoid, we always have our phones, that have her favorite shows on them, so she can stay entertained a little while longer. umm, i read a post one time that a lady said she left the store bc her child was throwing such a fit, and i tried it, and sure enough, kenzie was calm the next time we went out...we always talk about how we act before we go out (like shopping or anything like that), and we get snacks and stuff to keep with us. also, i read on here watch how you say things...someone answered that when you say listen to mom, they might think "i am", but it's not registering that you want them to do something...maybe try, 'do what mom says, and hold my hand or we will go home". GL
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I've got a strong-willed one too.... and he's whiney, haha. (Still trying to figure out the solution to the whining) YES - I've also heard that taking a toy away works wonders. My girlfriend had gone through time-outs, 1-2-3 Magic, spankings... a toy going away was like the worst thing ever!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010