i found out i have gallstones should i get the surgery or not?

mom2006and2010

Asked by mom2006and2010 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• cant they pass??? get a second doctor to look at your case if you dont want to have surgery... good luck
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You may want to get a second opinion sure........but once you have them, they are not gonna go away on their own!

I put of seeing a doctor for a LONG TIME, I thought it was just heartburn...indigestion til one morning I coughed up blood, stomach was pumped in the ER, no more blood......and when I had the surgery.....my Doctor said my case was the worst one he had ever seen, it was bulding out with stones ( I had it on video my surgery..and at the end you could see it...looked like a small sausage link! BULDGING in places )

He said I could have died if I had waited any longer to get seen and have surgery! They could have busted!

Get a few opinions, get the testing done on the ultrasound.......but unfortunately I dont think they get any better..pain gets worse. I know!

Good luck...and after, if you do have surgery, liquid MYLANTA will be very helpful.....same for prilosec.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 2:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• yes you should get it because if they dont pass or havent it'll be worse for you and you risk them traveling somewherelse and possibly causing infectio which is way worse than just getting them removed. i know first hand with my 2 sisters they waited and turns out they ruptured into somewherelse and got a serious infction and had to still get the surgery whether they liked it or not and ended up spending 2 wks in the hospital recieving antibiotics. good luck
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 2:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i had to have my gall bladder removed because of gall stones, I let it go so long that i have to have one surgery to remove the gallbladder then a second to go down with a scope through my throat and remove the remaining stones. they can pass but there is no guarantee that they will and they can cause all kinds of major problems including pancreatitis or however its spelled but either way, if they dont pass id def do the surgery. And get a second opinion if need be.
    SCorbeau0616

Answer by SCorbeau0616 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Please elect to have surgery. Life is so much better without the threat of an attack if you ate too much of the wrong thing, especially after a period of time dieting to lose excess pounds. Gall bladder problems tend to become worse with age, never better, so discuss this with your primary physician and put this behind you.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 2:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Gall stones can damage your pancreas. You can live without a gallbladder but not without a pancreas. You probably haven't had a major attack yet but you most likely will. I can tell you first hand that it is more painful then natural childbirth. If you wait and have it removed when you have a major attack, your gallbladder swells in size and they may have to cut you around your whole side as opposed to three small incisions and done laparoscopically. Have it removed before there are complications. I did and feel better now then I ever did in my life.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes you should. While it is possible to pass the gallstones, there is always the risk of them getting stuck & causing more problems. They can also get stick in the ducts to the pancrease & cause pancreatitus.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You will feel so much better if you have the surgery! If you haven't had any attacks, do it before you have one because they are awful! I too waited too long and suffered thinking it was just indigestion at first! Then the attacks started, omg, I thougt I was going to die! Good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010