5 month old hasn't pooped since Tuesday afternoon.

How long should I wait before I call the doctor? He is too young for fruit juice. He is eating normally. He is a little more fussy but doesn't seem to be too bothered.

AliMom714

Asked by AliMom714 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has a bowel movement every day, and he's formula fed, but there are the occasional time when he won't go for up to 3 days, and then he's right back on schedule. He was actually further off timing wise when he was getting breast milk.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Give it another couple days, unless he's really getting upset by it. If he's having stomach pains, call the doctor and see what they recommend for your baby. Good luck!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 3:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If he is only on formula or breast milk, it is normal to go up to 5 days without a bowel movement. As long as he isn't in pain, just let nature take it's course. If he is in pain, there is nothing wrong with giving a little prune juice to help things along. It doesn't take much just a couple ounces.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My breastfed baby went about every 4-5 days not daily
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Breastmilk doesn't make them go daily, actually. Longest I've heard of a breastfed baby going without a poop is 20 days! And a normal blowout poop at the end.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son always went that long. My doctor said up to 10 days is normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Formula is known for that, Breastmilk makes them go daily. I however suggest using your mom instinct and call your DR or Nurse anytime you are worried.
    mazzoncini-mom

Answer by mazzoncini-mom at 2:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• get baby supositories or however you spell it lol...they work
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If EBF, it's normal and safe to go up to 2-3 weeks between bowel movements, as long as it's not dry, hard pellet like stool.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It's only been 2 days (Tue to Thurs). That's normal for a human milk or artificially fed baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This happend all the time with our little guy. He would wait to poop until right before we called the dr. With our girl we had to resort to using the enima. OMG I started to cry so hard, but it only took seconds so it was short lived. The answer that was given to us was 3-4 days.
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010