Please help! Im running out of Ideas on how to decipline my 2 year old!!!

I try so hard not to yell or raise my voice with my son. I feel he is unusually "rebelous" when I say no no or dangerous he just looks at me and does it anyway! Time out doesnt work. Ignoring ( like when hes saying things for negative attention) doesnt work. I feel I'm a layed back mom I know kids will be kids but there are some things that I draw the line on. Like this morning when he threw his food down and I said " Griffin that's not nice behavior. If you do it again you will go to time out" he looked at me and ran to our bathroom and locked himself in there for 30 min!!! Hes just started this and i'm starting to wonder if it's because I'm pregnant and he knows things are about to change very soon. He says he doesnt want a brother...it breaks my heart because I know this time next month I'll have another person to share my time with and I don't want to make him feel left out or betrayed by me. Is this normal behavior?

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 2:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first thought........take the lock off the bathroom door.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• ha yea....I'm getting the knob protectors TODAY
    luvsgriffin

Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It very well could be because you are pregnant, or it could simply be because of the "terrible two" stage. I am currently 34 weeks pregnant, and my son is 20 months old. He knows that something is going on, but he is still too little to understand. He has been throwing fits, hitting, not listening, etc for a few weeks now.

I've been trying to find ways to discipline, and even asked a question on here about disciplining him yesterday I believe. Basically, I received a lot of the same advice - consistency is the key.

AMZF812

Answer by AMZF812 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we got child locks for our bedroom and for our dd's bedroom. we went through this same stuff too...nothing worked, we tried time outs, we tried reasoning, and ignoring (which how some parents swear by that i will never understand), we tried spanking..nothing was working...finally one day i just had enough..kenzie was throwing a fit and giving her oh-so-great attitude that i love so much ;/, and i just had enough...i put her in her room for about 5 minutes until she calmed down, and explained to her that she cannot act like that, and made her say sorry. she's doing quiet a bit better, but we've only been doing this for a few weeks now. do what works for you regardless if ladies on here agree or disagree, and stick with it. we tell kenzie when she tells us no "what happens when you tell mom/dad no?".."you go to your room,..do what mom/dad tells you and pick up your babies, etc". if you think it's because you're prego, then try
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• taking an extra hour or so, and spending time just you and him, maybe do something special with him every day...especially when the baby gets here.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• http://www.lawofattractionparenting.com/
    bamsmom2001

Answer by bamsmom2001 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I love the book, Creative Corrections - it has helped with my 3 kids and my sanity :) I think I started using it when my son was around 2.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010