Please read thoroughly before shooting! Do we rely too much on our school systems? Sex ed...wanted Religion taught?

Unless you are paying for a private education that includes religion, why is it the school's responsibility? The public school system is already broke and removing music, and other valuable electives from schools. Should we pay more money to have a separate religion class for every religion so no one is offended?

As for sex ed. Yes it's a plus, I'm so glad they do it. But I guess I feel that it is ULTIMATLEY my job to make sure my child has a healthy, safe outlook on sex, not just assume that sex ed teaches all there is to know. Then wonder why their little Suzy is preg at 15. That is all....good day! :)

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think religion is a personal choice and should not be taught in school. Unless it's just an overview (basics about the beliefs). As for sex ed, It really should be more about anatomy and how it works to make a baby. Most women who use Natural Family Planning, know more about their bodies than the teachers. As for pushing contraceptives, no that is up to the parents to teach safe sex.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Schools should only be teaching the basic subject Math, English, Science and so on and so forth and maybe funding wouldn't be so tight. As for religion and sex ed, those subjects are a matter of preference and like what was said above, parents have the majority of the responsibility in passing this message across. Schools should only touch base and provide an overview because each family has their own values which should be respected.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 3:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• In all honesty I think everyone has a different take on it.
    Me personally I don't rely on the school to teach my children sex ed, I started that from the day they came home from the hospital and we have always been open in our home about sex, relationships, health etc..
    I also don't want the school teaching my child religion, unless its more in an educational sense; the history of religion, the various religions and cultures. I don't want the school telling my children what to believe and why...I want my children to be educated and free thinkers to make their own choices when it comes to their faith or choice regarding religion.
    I think both of these things need to start in the home and we certainly shouldn't solely rely on outsides sources to do the teaching
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have no problem with school teaching religion as long as it is history of religions, basics, etc. I think we learn tolerance it would be a good thing. As for sex ed...WE have been teaching that since birth. I think schools should teach it b/c many parents do not.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No one's saying its the school's responsibility, although I can understand in terms of sex ed, the school wanting to protect itself by telling the students its responsible for how to be safe, since the school doesn't want to deal with a pregnancy or STD outbreak among its students, especially since so many parents neglect to teach safety and responsibility, even though it SHOULD be done by the parents.

As for religion, I don't think saying we'd like there to be an optional class means that we feel its the school's job to educate our children about religion. We are capable of that as well, but it does mean we feel it would be an appropriate option, were it to teach all religions equally and fairly, rather than with bias...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Actually bandgeek, my post was stemmed off a few other posts I've seen on here eluding to just that.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• sex ed is very important in school, and yes you need to teach it also! And for your info, not many schools have religion in them that are not religious! Not in MO, GA, NC, TN, or IL. SO I am very confused on that!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I acutally think there is more teachers should be teaching. Minus the sex ed. Seriously are kids going to pay attention in that class and take is honestly anyways?? Religion is another thing that is not the schools responsiblity at all!!! But.....Phys Ed. I mean gee, what right should the goverment tell my kids what to eat, when they don't have phys ed.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well in public schools there is seperation from church and state, and religion is NOT taught in the public schools. Sex ed however, is. I do send our kids to private school...they do get religion class every day...but that is not important to me as the education. I feel it is our job to instill religious beliefs and a system of values in our children and we do so. I am not leaving it up to the school, public or private to teah my children religion or morals...these things should mostly come from home. I think sex is equally important to teach your own children. Health class is great, buy I am teaching my kids about sex as they grow...my kids, my responsibility...just sayin.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010