How do you cope with sever ANGER?

When you don't know where it seems to stem from?
It just builds up out of no where in you?
When you just want to run around and scream and or beat the life out of someone?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• Try finding a good therapist. Sometimes if $4 is tight, you can find one on a sliding scale base. They can teach you great coping skills. A Dr may put you on unnecessary medicines that can do more harm than good. There is a triangle I was taught many years ago, At the top is anger, and the bottom two holding up anger are fear and hurt.. They are the underlying reasons for anger...
    You need to distinguish what and who you are angry at? What is the injustice causing the pain? And what is and effective way to deal with the anger? One is to learn to accept and forgive, one is to journal everything that is bothering you... I used to put everything that was bugging me on a paper plate (to illustrate my plate was full) and then tackle only what I could at the time given and prioritize... Hope this helps in some way.. Good Luck... Lots of good answers here..
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 4:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Behind anger is always hurt and fear. High reactivity usually means strong feelings. Here is an excercise that changed my life.

I have to use an example to explain it. I used to get enraged when someone would cut me off on the freeway. So I had to break it down, and honestly state out loud the things that were running through my mind at the time. I stated, "I'm here, how could you not see me? You shoved your way in front of me like I don't matter!" This was so profound for me. It stemmed to a lot of my anger issues. The way I was treated growing up. It was so automatic! A lot of them were me trying to prove to myself and others that I mattered. I had to learn to be okay with me and believe that I mattered if it was going to stop.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Rage is a nasty thing. Hopefully I can do something like walk away from whatever triggered it. If not, omg, we're all in trouble. So now I try to stay away from things I know might trigger it. That's the best I can do.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you are experiencing rages that seem to come out of nowhere, it's time to go to see your doc. Are you unusually emotionally reactive (not just anger, but get excited/worked up too easily?) It could also indicate a hormonal problem, etc.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am most likely to feel angry when I am not taking care of myself spiritually, emotionally & physically.
    Most anger comes from being made to feel unimportant in some way which confirms one's own feelings of unimportance or insecurity (an empty tank) the more unimportant (empty) you feel the more angry you get. When you feel happy and your tank is filled up, you are less likely to be bothered by these things. Think of it like you have five dollars sitting on your table. Someone comes in the door and takes it from you. Picture how you would feel if it your last 5 dollars? Now picture how you would feel if you had a million dollars in the bank? That is the difference between when you take care of yourself or not. Rest, treat yourself occasionally to things you want, take time to be nice to yourself-it makes a HUGE difference!
    drsally

Answer by drsally at 4:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I also have anger issues. I have been known to throw things, get road rage. I have learned to avoid alcohol because if something small sets me off when i'm drinking it gets REALLY BAD. I'm not really into the idea of therapy but after an incident I really just realized my anger issues were out of control. I have been on an anti-depressant for years for anxiety mainly. I went to a local psychiatric hospital for an evaluation and was admitted to their IOP program (intensive outpatient) I know that may sound scary or extream but it was the best thing i have done for myself in my life. It was 5 days a week, 3 hrs a day of group therapy. And I actually really enjoyed it. but my therapist was awesome. I was diagnosed as rapid cycling bipolar. My rages were my mania. I didn't know it could present that way but it can. I am doing much better now. they tried me on lithium but i'm now med free and doing wonderful. Talk to your dr!!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 6:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010