If your child told yourself and their father that they were gay...

Which of you would be more accepting of it?

Personally, it would never change the love I have for my son, and I'd support him 100% on it, as long as he was happy.

However, I think my husband would have a harder time. I know he'll always love our son, and I think eventually he would support him, but I think it would be harder for him to accept.

How do you think it would be in your family?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly, I think initially he may have a few questioning moments, but I can't imagine he wouldn't be accepting. I on the other hand would be more than happy to have a gay child, as long as they were happy and healthy, I couldn't care less who they are attracted to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We both we accept it easily. Both of us are easy going about things like this.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we have so many gay couples (two who are legally married) in our extended family that it really wouldnt matter.

HOWEVER, depending on their age I would STILL emphasise that this in NO way effects our rules on dating and sex. They STILL have to be appropriate with their bodies. I have teenagers and simply because they told me they were gay and couldnt end up pg would NOT change our dating/sex rules.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He would definately have a problem but since she is a girl it wouldn't be that bad. Now if it were a boy, he wouldn't accept it at all.

Me, I don't care. It just may change the way I'd hoped their life would turn out but that's my dream for them, not theirs
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• well homosexuality is not something uncommon in my family. my father was gay and my oldest sister is a lesbian. soooo...i mean, even though i dont agree with it, i would not condemn or love my child any less for telling me this type of news.
    blackbird2234

Answer by blackbird2234 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I had this happen with my youngest daughter. She told use she was bi sexual, she was 17 at the time. We excepted it. But told her we thought it was a phase she was going though. She got mad at us about that part. I did tell her I do not believe people can be bisexual. You are either straight or gay. Bisexual , you are just feeling out which one you are. JMO. Of course she was upset about that. She new we did not care if she was gay or straight. But we where right. It was a phase. She is married to a MAN and has 2 kids. She even told us we where right.

Answer by louise2 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• haha, although by "pro-gay" I'm not implying we're trying to intentionally raise our kid that way - more that we're pro gay rights and all that. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Their sperm donor would kill them... As for my stance, they can't help what they're attracted to- more power to them! My SO feels the same way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We would both be very accepting. We are very much a gay-friendly family.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• .."told yourself" ? lol. it would be better grammar to say "If your child told YOU and his Father....." . see? What do they teach in school nowdays? So they have "how to play X-box" classes instead of english and grammar? holy cow..... "

Kiss my ass. Is that acceptable grammar for you? Just because I worded something that was less than grammatically perfect doesn't mean that I'm uneducated. Thanks, but try again. Since you had absolutely nothing of substance to contribute to the question, I'm going to assume that you're just an asshole who is in a bad mood. If you're going to try to insult me, you're going to have to give it a bit more effort than that. Sorry, but FAIL. Maybe YOU should go back to elementary school and study a bit about CAPITALIZATION, seeing as you failed to use capitalization multiple times when you should have. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010