Civic Arena in Pittsburgh to be demolished! That's so sad.

I know most people on here won't know or care about it but I'm really sad about it. The first concert, first hockey game, first ice show, first circus, I ever attened was at that place. The Penguins won 3 Stanley Cups there. I'm glad they're getting a new place but why just destroy the other one?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 3:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I saw that too... Honestly, I have never seen why people were so attached to it. I mean, I have been there dozens of times, but for events, never for the building. There are so many other places I would be upset to see go - the Benedum or Heinz Hall for example. But like 3 Rivers Stadium, the Arena was never something I saw an a part of the culture, it was just where the events were held.

On another note, I didn't know you were from Pittsburgh! Howdy Do Neighborino?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• maybe they could sell off each brick to raise $$ for a local charity or 2
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Oh, I'd be totally furious if it was the Benefum or Heinz Hall, for sure. And it's strange but I didn't really care about 3 Rivers going although I wasn't too happy about all the money going to build the other two. But for some reason, I really like the Civic Arena and think there should be some interesting use for it.

Yes, I live out near the airport. Where are you?
    ceallaigh

Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't know that particular building but I can definitely sympathize with you. I love old/historic homes and buildings. It makes me incredibly sad that people choose to tear them down rather than refurbish them. They don't make buildings like they used to. Everything now is cheaply made and no one takes pride in workmanship or design or craft. Maybe you and others could petition to have it name as a historic building? GL! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm in the MonValley, about 40 mins south or so...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The arena is in rough shape...yeah, it will be sad to see it go, I have a lot of memories of that place, too, but the area needs a shot of 'new' to revitalize it, and the space the arena occupies could provide a lot more jobs & possibly housing, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• that is sad.
    pattie14

Answer by pattie14 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 17, 2010