Really ODD question...

Ok so im in the process of doing the 3-day potty training method with DD....and well I dont plan on leaving during that. But after DD is potty trained and its all said and done and she has no issues...What happens when we go in public?? how does she go potty??? I know this is a weird question..lol but im totally germ phobic and im afraid of her having to use public restrooms and catching stuff from the. Shes 2...and with that being said those toilets are HUGE..Idk I guess im just worried about the public potty part..What do you ladies do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• she's not going to catch anything, relax. i have my son sit and i hold him on there. thousands of people use public restrooms and they don't die. just make sure she washes her hands.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You're gonna hafta get over your germaphobia..lol. When they gotta go, they gotta go..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You could bring one of those potty seats that fits on a regular toilet with you. It would be cleaner. It would be a pain to drag with you though.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 3:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• NO ONE!!! In the history of the world has died from modern public toilet usage. Just get over it and hold her over it to go.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You need to do your best to get over this before you give your daughter a complex about germs. Do you want her to be as paranoid as you are? I have a coworker who actually made herself ill from holding it because she wouldn't use public restrooms. This is really not normal or healthy - think carefully about how you act when you take your daughter to public restrooms and try to take a big deep breath and not show your disgust. The rest of us use them all the time and we are still alive :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I share your disgust for public restrooms.

My daughter is 2 and a half and I wrap that toilet seat in toilet paper or use those liners that some restrooms provide. She sits on the seat and I hold her up, but I tell her to hold my arms instead of touch the toilet seat.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Same answer as above. Kid has to go when kid has to go so the best thing to do is use the toilet seat covers or buy the wipes that you put in your purse to clean the seat before you put her on it and let her hold onto your arms. Great question!
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 3:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If it makes you feel better carry a bottle of hand sanitizer and squirt it on the toilet seat, and then wipe it down with a paper towel or tissue.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• As for the toilet being too big, let her practice on a regular toilet at home if you've been using a potty chair, and hold her or let her hold onto you when you're out. I've been dealing with this times two lately, and not all the toilets will be the same...the ones with a split seat are the worst for my skinny boy.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• OMG! Nothing like jumping on the new mom who doesn't want her daughter to get sick! You should all relax and give the poor girl a break! Come to Manhattan and sit on a public toilet seat here & see what you go home with! I personally would not sit on a public toilet unpapered so why should a child. OK, I will give you some actual advice. They sell fold-up potty seats that fit in your bag & come with thier own bag. They also sell disposable toilet seat covers that extend past the sides of the seat and stick on so they wont slip off. Look for these on amazon.com or your local baby store. Good luck momma & congratulations on the potty training!!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010