Temper tatums

was just wondering what other moms out there do when their toddler has temper tatums?

Robin879

Asked by Robin879 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At home I usually ask, "Do you need to throw a fit?" If they don't answer, say yes, or give me a whiney no I tell them, "feel free to have a fit in your room, and make sure you do a good job of it. I'll see you when you're sweet." If we're out and I ask if they need to throw a fit and get no response, a yes, or a whiney no, I say, "Ok, I'll get you to the car (to the hallway, outside, etc...) and you can have your fit. Make sure you do a good job of it." Since I started doing this they nearly always straighten up when I ask, "do you need to throw a fit?"
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I do my best to ignore them. Sometimes I redirect him to something else. I do not give in to what he wants, at least unless he calms down and starts acting like a human being again lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ignoring them is the best as long as they can't hurt themselves. I usually spoke in a calm voice and said "let me know when you are done?" - most of the time they stop pretty quick when you ignore them and they are not getting the reaction they wanted out of you! Try it! When he is finished with the tantrum then talk to him. :)
    Skavswife

Answer by Skavswife at 3:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I had this same question a few days ago. My son is 20 months old and is beginning his terrible two's. He doesn't listen, he gets into everything, and throws horrible fits.

The advice I got was basically to ignore him. If I don't pay attention to him when he's throwing a fit, he normally stops.
    AMZF812

Answer by AMZF812 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i usually ignore, but lately that just ticks him off more. now i just tell him to "please stop crying and screaming and i will get you what you want if you ask nicely" and he will try to stop crying which is all im looking for. i know once hes full blown tantrum that he cant just turn it off, but if he gives the effort and stops the crying it usually works. tantrums are the worst. the other day i had to carry my son under my arm with him screaming like crazy out of the store. yep, i was one of those moms lol.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 9:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010