Why Does He Do This?

My ds is 16 months and he takes one nap in th eafternoon, usually for about 3 hours. Recently, he has satreted aking up 15-30 minutes after he is put down. He will cry loudly for about 5 minutes then go back to sleep. When he first statred this, I used to go in and pick him up. He would immediatly stop crying so there is nothing wrong with him. I usually ignore him now. Why would he start to do this?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• fear of being left alone? I am not sure sorry that is the only thing that I can think of ATM
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think 3 out of 5 of my kids did that when they were younger. With my kids, if they were really tired and their nap was delayed, they behaved that way or if they weren't feeling well. It's somewhat normal from my experience.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 3:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son is 20 months old, and does this at night sometimes. Usually not naptime though. And he doesn't scream necessarily, but he whines for like 15 minutes and then falls back asleep. I used to get out of bed every time he would do this, but for the past couple of nights, I've stayed in bed and let him whine himself to sleep. He needs to be able to soothe himself.

It could be many things - something woke him up, he's scared of being alone, etc. Does he have something he sleeps with? My son has this dog/blanket thing that he's had since he was born, and he sleeps with that everynight. It may help if your son has something to comfort him when he does wake up.
    AMZF812

Answer by AMZF812 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It could be gas
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This is about the age when seperation aniexty kicks in. It's a very normal part of toddlerhood, it seems like it lasts forever but he'll outgrow it in time. I think both of mine peaked around 20 months old with it and then settled into a more comfortable space. He's ALSO at the age where exploration and discovery are tops on his to-do list. You're putting him in for a nap! That's getting in the way of his agenda. He's figured out he can voice his distaste. He understands his goal and your road-block. :) It's normal. He'll protest. He'll get past it.

Create a nap routine just like a night routine (if you have one that is.) When he calls to be picked up, reassure him that you are not far and he'll be ok. Offer him comfort items like a favorite blanket or stuffed toy. Put on a ltitle soft music if you think it'll help.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010