my step daughter cant stand my son!!!

how do i get my step daughter to get along with my son? she doesnt want him around, and is constantly saying she doesnt like him. my step daughter is 4 and my son is 18 months and from my stand point i dont think he really bothers her. any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• Sounds like a classic case of jealousy to me. Naturally she's gonna be jealous--she was the baby until he came along, wasn't she? Just make sure to spend good quality time alone with her, reading to her , maybe letting her help you in the kitchen (big girl stuff that babies don't get to do because they are too LITTLE!) and let her help you take care of the baby-- get you a diaper, the baby lotion, wipes, etc., so she realizes that without her, you don't know what you would do!! She just needs to know that she is still important and loved just as much as she ever was.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 10:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yep and a bit spoiled too. Make sure she gets quality time alone but she also needs to learn she is not the only one now. Try to make time together with the baby fun for her. Make her feel important and special by letting her do things to help you. Make her feel like the big sister. even let her do things that you would not usually let a four yr old do like change a diaper...she may not do it well but you can always fix things when she is not looking.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2008