When children teach Parents

Last friday my son came home from school and told me he had something to show me. I asked him to wait because I was busy doing something. (I can't even remember what.) He ended up going to a friends house and I completly forgot about it. Sunday night when I was getting his things ready for school on monday I opened his agenda to sign fridays page. His teacher had written how well he was doing in math and how he was showing leader ship skills by helping out other class mates. I praised him and asked why he hadn't told me. He looked at me and said. "I tried to tell you friday but you were to busy" OUCH. Now I make it a point to give him my full attention for the first half hour after he gets home from school. What ways have your children taught you to be a better mother?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 3:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• thanks for posting this
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ouch is right!! So far my son has taught me a lot, and he is only 20 months old. A few months ago he taught me that my cell phone has a flashlight on it. He also taught my mom that her watch has an alarm feature, and she had to learn how to deprogram it because he had somehow set it to go off every 10 minutes, lol. But mostly I have learned that I never knew I could love somebody so very much.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son taught me that I should have more patience. He is impatient. I know he gets it from me. So in teaching him to have more patience...I am learning as well.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You are not alone. Sometimes after working all day and picking my daughter from Pre-K I forget to be patient. I try when I realize I have done it to take some time out and focus on what she has to say. It isn't easy, but realizing you have done something wrong and then fixing it, it the only way you can learn. Thanks for posting.
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I must admit I love the way he teaches me to treat him.
    CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks for the post. I have learned a lot from my children. They have taught me to be more patient.I've learned to try simplify my life so I can focus on what is most important, but I still have to stop and take account of my actions quite often. I have done the same thing that you did before and it does make you want to be a better parent.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• embarrassedoops.  sorry baby.

nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 5:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Patience, definitely. I don't have any. I can't even stand in line at the grocery store at times, drives me crazy. But my kids remind me to stop and relax. If I don't stop and smell the roses, life will pass me by.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2010