About weaning

My son is 8 months old now. I wanna start weaning him from breastmilk whe he turns one. The only problem about this is that he will not take a bottle. I try 2 give him bottles of juice somtimes but he acts like he doesnt know what 2 do with it. Im scared that by the time im ready 2 start weaning him hes not going 2 want a bottle. I was thinking about once a day pumping my breastmilk just 2 get him used 2 a bottle until its time for real milk. Has anyone else done this, does it work?

Klomas1988

Asked by Klomas1988 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, at 1 you should be going to a sippy cup, I'd say try to start with a sippy cup instead of bottle.
    Anonymous

• yes a sippy cup wouldn't make him as confused. also make sure you try when he's a little extra hungry.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 10:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yes... pumping and giving your milk in a bottle will work. Try to have someone else give it to him though so he's not confused. It might take some time for him to adjust still, but it will happen. It took my Maddy 2 weeks to be comfortable with a bottle and not fight it. Just keep at it and be persistant. He'll get it.
    Also... have you tried a sippy cup? He might like that better than a bottle. Hope this helps.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 10:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• The other day I tried 2 give him the sippy cup & he bagan examining it like it was one of his toys. The I tried 2 show him that u drink out of it & he wouldnt even let it go near his mouth. I've conditioned him 2 think boobs are the only thing u can drink from, lol.
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I'd try the Nuby brand silicon spout sippy cups.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My baby is 9 months he to refuses a bottle. You can try a sippy, with persistance it will soon be a mastered skill. All though i don't personaly believe in weaning. BF babies find it easier to suck out of a straw first it is natural to them. I would start there first and then offer a sippy. Oh, you do know your refering to COWS milk as real milk? I would think, breastmilk is about as real as you can get. Just a thought!
    my4littlemen

Answer by my4littlemen at 11:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yeah, no point in going from breast to bottle at one year old....he should have started a cup by or at 6 months. However, you are mom and know best. Your kid will have to start listening to you at some point. Keep offering it to him and eventually he will accept it...ya know, like baby food...it takes time. Have fun and enjoy the experience.
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 11:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Just keep offering the sippy cup several times a day. Show him how to tip it, or even lay him back just a little, but be persistant and consistant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Just keep offering the sipy cup and don't worry about it. There's no deadline for weaning...your milk is still as good three years after birth as three days after. (Not saying you have to nurse to three....just saying it NEVER loses its benefits.)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• If he isn't ready to wean, why force him?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2008