Tubes tied or vasectomy?

Ok I was reading someone elses post. She stated that she is 23 and wanted her dr. to tie her tubes. The dr. refused. Most of the replies to this post said that its a dr. choice to do or not to do this procedure, but that some dr. will not do it unless the woman is at least 30. So my question is... does the same go for a male? I mean as far as age is concerned, can they refuse for a male at the same age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Health

• the general rule of thumb for both kinds of sterilization is 30 or 3 kids. My hubby is 23, wants a vasectomy, he got OKed for it since he has 3 kids (of course we haven't gotten it yet since we don't have the $)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• actually... talk to your dr. mine was willing to do one for me after i had my son... i am 21 and he is my first... i didnt want one, but she was willing to tie them. i think it depends on your dr. so if you really want one, i am sure you can find a dr. out there that will. no matter the age
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yeah they are very unfair with these rules. At the age of 22 by husband and I had three kids already. We were happy but we were done, no more kids please. So they told me no, by OK state law I had to be 25 or have 5 or more kids BUT they would do my husband. Uh what? Whatever. But now his is all messed up and I feel awful for him.
    Anonymous

• Its actually better for the male to have the procedure dont if possible. It is a easier and SAFER procedure for the male.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• They also have things like th Merena, which is a 5 year birth control, or the Implanon, which is a 3 year birth control. I am on the Merena, you should look into them if you are interested. there are recquirments for them so talk to your doctor. I have one kid at 19, and NO vaginal or uterous problems. So i qualified.
    You have to have at east one kid, have had a norma papsmear, never had pelvis inflammatory disease, and i think thats it.

For the implanon, it goes in your arm. So i think you justhave to have had one kid, or be in the military.....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008