Church of body modification?

Any one heard of this and what to explain to me what it is I can't get the web site up. I read about it in this article :
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_piercing_church

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm sure there are people who are legit, just as there are people who "abuse" it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It is a group that feels that their soul and body are strengthened when modified... the endurance of going through the processes "toughens" you up mentally and physically... and religiously if you go through the process in a religious mindset. Nothing new... just putting a name to what millions of people and cultures have been doing for generations.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Legit or just a bunch of people who like to do this stuff and needed a legal way to allow it in the work/school fields...? Seriously just wondering. lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Here's the thing... ANY and EVERY religious groups has those that abuse it. However, this is NOT a new idea... MANY Native American, African and other cultures have used body modification in one way or another as a spiritual experience. Frankly, I don't understand why body modification wouldn't be permitted in the work/school fields to begin with unless it was something which could cause harm - for example if you work on an assembly line a belly ring can be dangerous. That said, I don't understand why body modification needs to be something that is over the top either IF you choose to be a lawyer for example, and you know it's not going to be acceptable to have horns implanted in your skull - be an adult and make a choice as to what is more important... The rest of us do it every day!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm not against it if that is your belief then you should be allowed to practice it. However I believe the question came up about a high school girl getting in trouble about having a small nose ring, she is suing the school because she is part of the body modification religion. I feel there are some rules and laws you have to follow irregardless of your religion. I don't know how I feel about this one.

Also someone was fired from Walmart for a piercing, but sued because they were part of this religion.  I think schools and work should be allowed to have a dress code.  When you pierce or tattoo yourself, even if it's for religious reasons,  you know before hand that it's going be to harder to work in some professions.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Oh sure, churches and cults and tribes have always "modified" their bodies. Painting faces, tatoos, cutting and sewing skin,etc. but it sure seems bizarre. They can do what they want though.
    In the case of the person fired and using their church as an excuse? Dishonest. DIsgusting.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010