How do you do it?

I am a single mother of one child and my child is probably not anymore of a handful than most children her age but she gets to me when she is whiny and won't sleep. She has never been a sleeper so I have adapted to that but when I have to get up at 6 am to get ready for work and she wakes up about 2 times a night and she is over a year old, what can I do? I get so stressed out and spend days at work walking around like a zombie because I get minimal sleep because she is up. I would just like to know how other mothers handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• I felt like hell all the time, too, with my first daughter because I thought she wasn't a sleeper either. In fact, the way you describe your daughter sounds exactly like mine was at that age. I was teaching at the time, and because I was getting so little sleep, I kept having migraines. I finally got fed up with being tired and in pain all of the time, so my husband and I implemented the Ferber method. It's kind of like CIO, but not to such an extreme. It took 12 hours to get her to sleep on her own, in her own bed, and for the entire night. If you don't mind hearing your DD cry for a few minutes at a time, I'd highly recommend giving it a try on a weekend, even better, a long/holiday weekend. I wish you the very best of luck. I've been there and I know exactly what you're feeling.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 11:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Thank you very much. I cry sometime at night because I feel like I am failing her because I get so stressed and I don't want my stress to affect her.
    Anonymous

• You have to do something now. My daughter is quite a good sleeper now. She's 3, and once she falls asleep, she won't wake up until morning. We did cry it out. However, at 10 mos old or so, she was still waking up once at night. What happened next was funny. One night, we forgot to turn on the monitor. We were sooooo tired. So, we slept through the night. I guess she cried, but we didn't hear it. We couldn't believe it! So, ever since, she never woke up during the night. However, I know my husband's friends who won't do CIO, still have trouble with their boys' (I think 5 yrs & 4yrs old) sleep. CIO is what I know, but whatever you decide, you have to do something now. You don't want to attend 5 year old night time awake, do you? Good luck!
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 11:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2008