Is this normal for my 3 year old?

My 3 year old just started his first "class" last week. It's a sports class for 3 and 4 year olds where they learn sports basics and play games for fun at the end of class. It's one hour a week for 7 weeks.

He just turned 3 over the summer and the class has more 4 year olds than 3's. I am feeling really worried because last night at his second class he stuck out so much from the other kids. He didn't participate in the activities, he just kind of played on his own and didn't follow along with the group. He had fun, and of course this is all I want for him from this but I'm so worried about why isn't he following directions or listening to the teachers. Is this normal for a 3 year old who is in their first group atmosphere? Did this happen with your kids? At home he's such a good listener and he's very smart. Is it just his age? Today I can't shake it off like this is my "fault" that he doesn't want to be part of a group.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you just have to give him time to get use to the new place and people. Some kids take longer to adjust to new things. If this is only his first time interacting with kids in a class you can't rush it. And don't feel bad. It just takes time.
    Wonderlust

Answer by Wonderlust at 4:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• As long as he's having fun he's okay. If he was sulking in a corner because he didn't understand the rules and the older children were making him not feel welcomed then you should talk to the director and or teacher. Sounds like you should just give him some time to warm up. :)
    kelliehelvie

Answer by kelliehelvie at 5:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He needs to get used to the place.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Give him time. I don't know many 3 year olds that take direction very well. Telling a toddler to pick up a toy, or put their plate in the sink is one thing..."sports" directions, however, are a little more involved. If he's having fun, keep going. He'll get the hang of it!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:44 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yah this is just new give him some time I don't think you have done anything wrong
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Time will fix it. He will learn to play "up" to the other level.
    weeblette

Answer by weeblette at 6:00 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, it's normal. This didn't happen with my kids because we didn't put them in anything until they turned 5.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:03 PM on Sep. 18, 2010