Chores-should moms be responsible for all the household work?

Ok ladies, I'm back from vacation (had a GREAT time btw...lol), and I've been dying to ask this question:

What is your opinion on the following topic: chores?

Some moms feel that their kids should not have to do chores, especially if the mom stays at home. The moms in question feel that since part of their role is to stay at home, they should be doing the household work.

Other moms (like myself) feel that kids should have some responsibilities around the house. Doing chores teaches a child that they are indeed an integral part of the home (as well as the family), and it teaches the value of hard work.

What is your opinion?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 4:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think there are chores. There is stuff that needs done and everyone does it. It's one of the adult's responsibilities to make sure stuff gets done. I take care of my 24 mo grandson and he has been doing things around the house for months. My adult sons can do everything including sewing, shopping, cooking, baking, everything.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• im not a maid!!! they should do chores too and so should ur hubby!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think it is INCREDIBLY important to teach your children from a very young age that they are to be responsible for themselves. My two year old cleans her own room. I was doing dishes and laundry at age 6. I see nothing wrong with it. NOW, my children won't be the only ones cleaning the house, don't get me wrong, I'll do the majority of the work, but kids need to learn responsiblity and that the entire world isn't handed to them on a silver platter.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm on your side all the way!!!!
    MsIrene05

Answer by MsIrene05 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My kids and my husband have to help out around my house.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Feel the same as you. My 3 year old even has to clean up his own toys with my help of course.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• make the children earn their keep...I had to! Seriously even a toddler can help pick up their toys, sort laundry...if parents allow the kids to get away with not helping, either because they are control freaks or the kids are seriously lazy...no reason they cannot help you.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• agree with all of you
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Of course mom shouldn't have all the chores... She doesn't make all the mess, use all the dishes, wear all the clothes or pee on the seat... So she shouldn't have to do all the work to keep up with it... My kids are 3 & 4 and already help with laundry, dishes and keep their room and toys picked up. There is no reason kids and husbands can't and shouldn't do their part... Mom isn't a maid, she isn't a waitress, she isn't a servant and frankly, to think of her as such is only teaching disrespect...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Please don't say your children and husband help out. When you say that you are taking ownership, it's your job and they are just helping (how nice of them!). It's everyones job to take care of the house. Try to move from thinking about others helping out to having a cooperative home.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010