how do u deal with a SO that has depression

my hubby has been depressed for a 4 years now. he has been on and off meds the whole time. we have a 7 month old daughter now and im not as willing to be nice and understanding anymore. i need his help. i work PT, clean, make dinner, watch the baby ect. i get home from work at noon and my DD is still in pj's and playing in her crib and he is sleeping!! he sleeps all day then is up all night. he doesnt eat much that i see. he has gained a ton of weight tho. he wants to get better and he is on meds but they are not working. i want him to talk to a therapist cuz i cant listen to the same shit everyday cuz i really dont care anymore. i need him to be here for us and to help support our family. i told him last night if this doesnt get better then i wont be around much longer. . . he is still sleeping right now!! is there anything else i can do? im ready to give up. i love him but i dont think i can do this anymore!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• He needs to go to therapy and find out what the cause is for his depression. It sounds like your getting burned out with it and I can understand that completely. Good luck hon I wish you the best, this has to be extremely difficult to deal with. No excuse to leave the baby in the crib all day.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't know. I mean, he's a grown man and it's gonna be hard to MAKE him do something ya know? At the same time, I know what he is going through and he does need help. If his meds aren't working, is he at least willing to go to the doctor and talk about switching Rxs or maybe upping his current dose?
    *hugs*
    xChasingxAmyx

Answer by xChasingxAmyx at 5:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Pray, pray pray and send him to a Christian counselor...
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 5:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Oh and also find someone else to keep the baby...
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 5:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Have his thyroid checked.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 5:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If he doesnt get help then IMO you should leave
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you love him, you will do what it takes and see him through it all. I know it seems dark in your world right now but he's been depressed for quite some time and just because you've had enough doesn't mean things will change. I wish it was that easy to tell someone to hurry up and get better or else I'm leaving but with depression, its not that simple...maybe and I'm just putting this out there, maybe if you get yourself educated on his depression you can help him in the process. Love isn't just loving through the good times, its also loving through the bad...and maybe you need support to help you get through this...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010