Socialization

Ok so I'm new to my area and my 3 year old doesn't have many friends around here to play with. I am really not the type to just join an established playgroup- it's really hard to do a lot of playdates anyways because she has a baby sister, and she is not going to be in preschool this year. She does a park district class but that ends in October. I don't know how to get her to be around other kids or just magically find friends for her that are her age. Do you think it is going to affect her negatively to not have a lot of socializing with kids her age? She just turned 3 a few months ago. I will probably put her in preschool when she's 4 for like 3 days a week. Anyone in similar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think kids are naturally social if you get them in the right environment. Maybe a playground at the mall or going to the park? have you tried going to the library for story time? Check to see if there's any groups that gather around for little ones.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• either way i don't think it'll affect her negatively. especially since she'll start school eventually and catch up with socializing there
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I never did playdates with my older kids. They played with each other until they started school and that was it. They all did just fine when they did start school.
    My 4yo doesn't have any friends herself but she hangs out with her older siblings' friends in the afternoon. When they are at school she's here with me and her baby brother (he's 2 months). We don't go anywhere or do anything. She doesn't hang out with kids her own age and it doesn't bother me. She isn't in preschool either (she went last year but we can't afford it this year). I can't wait for her to be in kindergarten next year because she drives me crazy...she's so bored without her brother and sisters here.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Shell catch up.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• She'll definitely catch up. In the mean time, see if your local library has a "story hour"...I bet she can meet a lot of local kids (and you can meet some local moms) there!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• HIt the local parks up around 10am....you and your daughter will meets tons of people!!
    weeblette

Answer by weeblette at 5:59 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• we do story time at our library, go to parks, and we have joined a Christian based playgroup that we LOVE called MOPS. You can check them out at http://www.mops.org/
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• At 3, she doesn't really care if she has friends or not. She won't remember in 2 years anyway. Shoot, she won't remember next week.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010