I have a 5 yr old who is having problems adjusting to her kinder class, she did great all year last year for her pre-k and then this past summer, she went to a summer day camp and i was late in picking her up once. From then on, she never wanted to go to school ever again. With me being late traumatized her big time. What can i do to help her with this feeling?

These past weeks since kinder started, she would cry the whole 3 hours on and off and I dont know what to do anymore. I've stayed all 3 hrs before and then cut this short to 45 mins but no changes. Would me staying in her class helps her or just makes things worse for her? I would appreciate any advice.

applebees

Asked by applebees at 5:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would have a talk with her about it, ask her how she felt when you were late for picking her up at camp. Did something happen while she was waiting? Did she think you wouldn't come eventually? Was she scared or did she not know what to do? See if you can find out what about it upset her so much. Then I think you make a plan. Explain to her that Mommy would never be late on purpose but something could happen one day to make you late (traffic, car trouble, etc) and so make a plan of what she would do if that were the case. Where can she go to ask for help- back to her teacher, or to the office, etc. I would help her have a plan so she feels empowered to know what to do if this ever happened again. They even have phones for kids that only have a button to call one or two numbers. It could have your number, Daddy or Gma or someone else she could call if she's in a jam and she could keep it in her bag. Don't stay in class though.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Could the teacher possibly give her a special "helping" responsibility? That might help distract her. Just an idea..............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My one little one was happiest when I surprised her....Maybe just don't say what day. Only if you are sure it's happening. No moms are always perfect for preschool hours, it's such a small gap in the day, ... you just get started and then the time is done, and they are home. We used to go in and bring a snack or have some thing for show and tell, or the school would have a picture-share-day. They make it interesting. Some days they have "pajamas---,days," other days are for inventing things from recycling, so she won't get bored. If it's too hard for you to manage since she plays on the crying part, put a small note in her bookbag, and give her a snack just before the bus come, or you take her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It makes it nice when we had a "before breakfast" with one of the neighbor children. We would sit them into the kitchen and have raisin toast, or some cereal or a cereal bar. They would remember eating in the early morning as a treat instead of the whole-day- in-school, maybe not in a good mood. This really helped out their moods nicely. One morning we got a matching toy for each of them to play with and they took them to school in their book-bags.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010