I still rock my 15 month old little girl to sleep. Can't get her to fall asleep in her crib on her own.. Any suggestions and plse dont tell me to let her cry it out - I dont beleive in that

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 10:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a group her called CIO alternatives. I'm a member, they're pretty helpful. Sorry, I have no advice, but try them and good luck!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 10:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Have you tried rocking her slower and slower each night and then just hold her in that chair but not rocking? Do it very gradually and it just might work!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 11:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• read "The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers" by Elizabeth Pantley.
    you should be able to find it at the local library.
    she gives great stratigies on how to support your child in building better sleep habits. she also gives, in very understandable terms, as to how sleep cycles work and how a young child's sleep cycle differs from that of an adult.
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 11:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I remember on an episode of the Nanny when a family couldn't get their child to sleep in a crib. She told them to put their child in the crib and sit on the floor with their back to the crib. Just sit there in the dark (or with a night light) having no contact with the child other than the initial 'good night kiss and hug'. Gradually and slowly you scoot your way out of the room. They see that your still there and they are comforted by the sight of you. They will eventually go to sleep. She did this a couple of nights in a row. My children are teenagers now so I don't have any idea if this works or not but it's worth a try. Good Luck.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I tried to do things in stages over the course of about a month (and it worked!) I started out by laying next to her in my bed and rubbing her belly while singing. I'd then make the "transfer" after she was asleep. After about a week I quit touching her and kept singing. Then I quit singing and just laid next to her. Finally I laid her in her crib and just sat next to the crib (so she'd see that I was right there) Within two days of laying her in her crib, I could just lay her down and walk out. That's all the advice I've got - but maybe it's worth a try?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We co-sleep, but and dont have to rock the kids down. But, I think that ALL children and even most adults, have something that comforts them or calms them or makes them feel centered. Some children need rocking, some need a story, some need music, some need total silence, some need to feel the beating of a familiar heart and breath on them. There really is no "ONE" answer.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 11:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• CONT..Tough love works for many, but for those of us that don't believe in it, we just try different things, like changing the routine just a little each night leading up to the bed time. Rock with someone talking, or reading or rock for a short time then get up and slow dance. Just gradual things. That way there really isn't much chance of the little one noticing,,, then remember, if you aren't comfortable with the change, then niether will the child be. They really are smarter than we think! What works for a dozen kids may not work for the next. Do what fits YOUR parenting style.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 11:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Cry it put doesn't have to be super harsh just let her cry for 5 min then go rub her back, then go out of the room for 7 min then go in and talk to her, then 10 min...increase it just a touch each time. Keep reassuring her until it clicks that you always come back...Or just keep on rocking she won't need you to rock her forever, she won't start high school with you still rocking her to sleep. It's totally up to you. I did the no aggressive CIO with mine from the beginning but that's what worked for us. Just think about what works for you.
    Anonymous

• My son will be 2 yrs. old next month and I still rock him to sleep. Honestly I don't mind at all, I see as our time together.. I think because I nursed him until he was 18 months old we are both very linked to eachother that way.
    I think it's a situation that if you are ok with rocking her, just continue doing it. If you have to do other things, than just tell your child that you have to get going. It is really a personal preference.
    But I'm with you I would not let the child cry it out..
    chicmami

Answer by chicmami at 11:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• We did something similiar to DusterMommy with our son. We would sit next to his crib until he fell alseep for about a week. Then we switched to a bedtime story and about 10 minutes afterward for about a week. Then we just did the bedtime story before leaving the room.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2008