How to help hubby change his sleep schedule?

DH used to run a restaurant and never got home until 1 or 2 am. Then it would take him a few hours to settle down before he could sleep.

Long story short...he hasn't worked that job in almost a year, but he's still on the same (or worse) schedule! It's gotten so bad that he often doesn't fall asleep until 7am - about half an hour before I get up - and then I can't get him to wake up until 3pm.

He has tried staying up all night so he can go to bed early the next day, but even THAT hasn't worked - he'll just end up staying awake for 36 hours or more once he gets his second wind! He's not working right now but he's going to school full-time and I know he's as frustrated as I am that he can't get on a different schedule.

Any suggestions? :-/

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 5:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• He needs to go lay in the bed at the time he wants to go to sleep and set a clock to wake, him when he needs to get up,even if hes tired and hasn't slept he needs to wake up everyday(at the same time) do the same thing eventually his body will get used of it !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If he can't switch his schedule all at once then do it gradually. If he normally goes to bed at 7am then have him go to bed at 5am for a week. He may have to lie there for awhile but eventually he'll sleep. After a week or 2 of that, have him go to sleep at 3am...and keep moving back his sleep time until it's where he wants it. Also make sure he wakes up at the same time every day.
    smileyashmommy

Answer by smileyashmommy at 5:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies! Good suggestions. I did just dig out the alarm clock that he HATES (because it's the only one that will wake him up) so I think I'm going to let the alarm clock wake up him up at the same time every day. Being his wakeup call is exhausting because it's so darn hard to rouse him! Haha
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i agree with the other ladies
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010