Teachers not teaching class curriculum?

Social Studies teacher is teaching more about politics then what the class should be studying. Which since we don't agree with his politics, my daughter ends up debating him. So far she hasn't gotten into trouble but I think he is asking for it since, he keeps bringing it up. Should I stop my daughters debating even though I disagree with the teacher or just let her handle it?

Carol936

Asked by Carol936 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in

• I guess it would depend on how she is debating him. Is she being rude? Or is she just disagreeing with him and giving her view on it? I think as long as she is not being rude or going overboard with it, then she should continue. This will help her later on when she goes to college. Also, check to see if there is a debate team at her school. She may want to consider joining it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I say, let her debate. If she hasn't gotten in trouble and it hasn't gotten out of hand I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's great she has an interest in politics no matter what her position is- her teacher probably does too!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Mine debates and get in trouble..even when he isn't rude. He has been in detention or in the principals office 5 times this year.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Well from experience, no good ever comes from debating a teacher...especially in the political area. I had a college professor who was a big democrat and I am a huge republican. It was SUPPOSED to be a US Government class but he spent the majority of the time bashing president Bush and saying the most ridiculous things about republicans. Naturally I defended myself and questioned why were we even having these discussions instead of learning about the material. I ended up getting a C in the class when all my work and test grades were B's or higher. He wouldn't answer my e-mails about why my grade ended up being a C and I went so far as to take it up with the college itself. Unforunately some teachers use their power to try and persuade kids to believe what they believe...and its a shame because many young kids think whatever their teacher says must be true. I would tell your daughter to keep respectfully debating.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't think her middle school has a debate team but believe me in high school that will be the first thing she takes. She loves to debate. No she isn't rude, (well I hope not) but she does get her opinions across. I think that may be why he doesn't stop he really (probably secretly) enjoys that she takes such a great interest.
    Carol936

Comment by Carol936 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Politics are meant to be debated, that's why we have the system we have here. If he can't handle being debated, he should learn to keep his political views to himself.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think as long as she is being respectful about it, it isn't a big deal.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Untill he calls you then let her debate.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Let her keep expressing herself.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Shes the teacher... lol.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010