How do you get a toddler to sleep later

My son (2.5yrs) used to sleep until 9:30. He recently started him sleeping in a bed. Now that he is in the bed, I cant get him to sleep past 6:45. Anyone have this prob with their kids, I would greatly appreciate any input as I also have a 4 month old at home

qustnmrk28

Asked by qustnmrk28 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I put alumium foil in my kids room and close their door. I don't close it where they would have to turn the knob to open it but it is like barely cracked. The sleep till 9 now. They used to wake up as son as the sun came up but not anymore.
    ShalaneAnn

Answer by ShalaneAnn at 10:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Tire him out more before bed and put him to bed later. Close the blinds in his room so that the sun does wake him up. We are all early risers, but try those things, it might help.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Get a crib back for him. It is worth a try.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My 2 yo goes to bed between 8:30-9pm and wakes up between 6-7am everyday. He doesnt want up at all during night and still takes a 2-3 hr nap in the afternoon.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Make sure there are curtains on the windows to not let in sunlight. Wear him out 1-2 hours before bed time... Play time outside running around, digging, swinging! Put a baby gate up at his door, and fill his room with only safe toys.. no small pieces that way he could be building a tower with blocks or whatever while you catch up on sleep. i'm sure this is just a phase. I know some moms are anti no tv in childrens room, however I can't sleep unless a movie is playing in the background.. so I have tvs in my daughters room. I let them pick a movie to watch at night to fall asleep.. and after that movie goes off it changes to a station called "Baby's 1st tv" which plays night time music all night....
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I wish I had that problem. I can't get my toddlers to sleep past 5:30 am and I've kept them up later, let them run around like animals playing outside, etc.....
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:41 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thick, black curtains
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:55 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You are lucky it'as 6:45 and not 5
    weeblette

Answer by weeblette at 5:57 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• get a black out shade for his window if his room is bright in the mornings. Make sure he goes to bed tired & with a full stomach. Try putting him back in bed in the morning if he wakes up too early & tell him it 's not time to get up yet.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010