Kids Birthdays - Do you have Parties or Family Only?

For the last 2 years with the economy sinking and my husband out of work we have been doing immediate family w/grandparents only for my sons birthday. Some moms at school thinks this is unfair to my child. (because I'm not inviting their kids over for the party). My son actually likes his birthdays this way. Which way do you do your kids birthdays?

emerald53197

Asked by emerald53197 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• Neither. We just take our kids out to eat as a family and sometimes doing something fun (zoo or a hike in the woods). Then they get a couple gifts (usually just 2 for under $30) and a homemade cake. And that's it besides not having to do chores. They don't complain.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have parties. But if your son likes it the way you are doing it then who cares what those parents say. That is sweet that your son just likes being with his family!!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I do both, I have done the big parties and also just FAMILY-ONLY parties. If your son is fine with this, then don't worry what others say, they're not paying for it,m right?! :)
    jaxon212

Answer by jaxon212 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Parties with friends and family there
    bustii

Answer by bustii at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i had parties for the first four years and regretted it every time. his fifth birthday was a family only and so much better. last year since he had school friends, we did a party at the bowling alley
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 6:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Even broke as hell we manage to pull off parties. I have 20+ people in my family that we are close to. So there is no way i can just invite like my parents and sisters. because then everybody else will throw a hissy fit. We normally invite about 50 including friends and family. Our family is so big. I have step, in laws, both of my baby daddys families are invited to BOTH of my childrens parties. Its crazy and ridiculous. but that's the way it goes!
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 6:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I usually invite some of the kids from my daughters class adn have family over all at the same time
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This is how we do it since our grandson started school... (he is now 9 and in the 4th grade)
    His b-day is in January and on Jan 1st we ask him what type of party he wants in school...
    Some times it's just cupcakes, maybe cookies and ice cream, and a few times it's a pizza
    party with cupcakes ( I believe he is leaning that way again this coming Jan.)
    The home party is ONLY family and close friends no class mates at all....
    I did this with my DD's as they grew up and continue to do so with our grandson...
    It's nicer to just have family and not a whole lot of children running around, having something
    in his class, all of his classmates can be a part of it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i do just family, less drama and stress on me and my kids.
    Queen1985

Answer by Queen1985 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have parties. We end up with mostly family at the party and a few of their closest friends. We always have a great time. It is about what your child wants, what you want and not what everyone else thinks.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010