Would you allow your child to take a politics class?

I'm going to S/O of the religion class question, which is why this is here...

Politics, like religion, are very much based on personal views and beliefs. Even to teach the basics of one party is impossible without at some point interweaving ones own beliefs. Yet, Politics classes are common and in some school systems required... Why is this more widely accepted than a class based on World Religion?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I would encourage it as long as it was un-biased. I mean, we had civics in school & it became pretty political if i remember correctly. We had a debate program in school for politics & religion as well, of course you had to have parents permission to attend. I think more teens should be learning politics.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Of course. I don't recall it being available in my high school, but it is in college. I would encourage it actually. I think the more educated they are about all sides the more tolerant they will be about others opinion. At least that would be my hope lol
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would allow mine to take any religion or politics class...

He has read the bible, the satanic bible, all about various greek, roman and other mythology and everything else already. And, he has recently expressed interest in becoming a lobbyist.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Our school required (and continues to) Civics, World Cultures and American History... They NOW also require a "General Politics" class which is meant to expose children (teens - it's a HS class) to each political party and their agendas. For me, I see this as NO DIFFERENT than a Religious exposure class. Which is not only not offered, but which has been fought by the PTA when it did come up...

I wouldn't think a religion OR politics class should be for anyone but HS students in the first place, simply because before that ANY teaching comes across as indoctrination - as teens they will have learned to view different sides and make up their mind.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am for it as long as it was 100% un-biased.. (politics)

I am iffy on a religion class, depends on the age of the students... there are a lot of false teachers out there who claim to be speaking of a religion but have a total back alley take on it.... I wouldn't want my son learning from a "wolf in sheeps clothing"
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Politics, unlike religion, has very strict guidelines as to HOW the political process works which is what is being taught in schools, not political viewpoints. There may be different opinions but the foundation is the same in regards to how bills become laws, how officials are elected, etc, this isn't the case with religion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Oh and politics run the country so I can see why that's in school, they need to know how our government is run and what the sides represent... Religion is to much of a personal belief and learning about a different one then your own may actually offend or "be wrong" to someone...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son has teachers that can't teach "normal" class subjects without bringing their beliefs in...whether political or religious. So, you can't really say that Politics class is taught with no personal viewpoints and beliefs added.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have a hard time with this question. In HS, 99% of the things being taught are intended to be taken as fact - like it or leave it, it is what it is, kid, you have a lot to learn at this age. You know what I mean? So if a teacher has a personal bias, it's likely to shine through. But that said, I think it's incredibly important to be educated in as many sides of the puzzle as possible. I personally felt confused in my HS politics class because my teacher had a very strong bias and (sadly enough) tended to grade according students agreeing/disagreeing with him. I don't want my kids to go through that. I feel like college is a much better time/age to learn that type of thing, but then of course we can't force anyone to take college classes. So yes, I would let my children take politics classes, but I would take a great interest in what they were learning and how it was being taught.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

What the heck are they teaching in his class? My politics class consisted of the electoral college and how bills became laws and outlines of the tasks performed by the president all the way down to congress and the house of representatives. It NEVER addressed views of political parties..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010