Pennsyvania Dutch?

is anyone here Pennsyvanian Dutch/German? My maiden name is Hendrix and I'm from that background, but I don't know too much about it and wanted to learn. Anyone know anything about it? My family is from the Lancaster County area and then moved to New Freedom/Shrewbury and eventually to Maryland Line, MD.

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 5:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Travel

• Sorry, my mother was just in Lancaster though... She went up to shop. And brought me back a book of PA Dutch myths and stories... I can't wait to start reading it. I'll see what I can find you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks! Did she go to the outlets and Kitchen Kettle? Kitchen Kettle is awesome. Its in Intercourse/Keys Cross. If she ever goes up again, she should check it out.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Here, this may help you or at least give you someone to contact...

http://www.pgs.org/

http://www.kutztown.edu/community/pgchc/index1.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am PA Dutch Country born and bred. My family has been in this area since my families have come to the U. S in the late 1600's/early 1700's. What do you want to know?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My roommate grew up on a farm in amish country, according to him all the myths about their behavior- non-violent, quiet, etc. don't apply to the younger generation, Amish boys often beat up "Englishers" or town kids, simply because they can. Adults in general keep to themselves, usually having a family business or working for another Amishman, or on the family land. It isn't unusual for Amish families to have anywhere from 3-9 kids. There are a lot of books about Amish culture any history- check out your local library! The internet is pretty good too.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I honestly don't know where she went... It's something like a 12 hour drive for us, so I don't think she'll be going back any time soon. She had a convention in Harrisburg, so she figured she was already half way there - we're south of Pittsburgh - and went up for a weekend.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• One thing I can tell you--Pot Pie to me and what most of the rest of the country think of as Pot Pie are probably two different things. We can also have a way of talking that confuses most outsiders and we are known for being stubborn.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would really love to learn some of the language. I've heard its slowly dying, besides in Amish and Mennonite communities, along with some recipes. I don't follow the religion-I'm Jewish by choice, but I just think the things like the Hex Symbols are so interesting and I LOVE THE FOOD!
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am. My grandfather is from Sunbury, PA. My maiden name is Kunkel. He eventually moved to Baltimore Maryland which is the area I am from. :) I'm not sure about anyone else but I hope you find what you're looking for. :)
    livysmom04

Answer by livysmom04 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The funny thing is, they're misnamed. It's from Pennsylvania Deutsch, which is German. Nothing to do with Dutch as in from The Netherlands. I'm Dutch, born and raised, and for some reason that has always bothered me, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010