Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legal Advice about a Lease

I signed a one year lease when I moved in 8 months ago. Since then, I have found out that the living room floods whenever it rains, we have a severe mouse problem that is not controlled with traps, and the bathroom has a mold issue (most likely it is in the walls). My landlord was also arrested for child molestation and is still going through trials. My question is...Can he hold me to my lease with all this crap going on? I found a really nice place that I would like to move into ASAP?


Asked by ashisamom at 6:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 25 (23,819 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I would call an attorney and get information. It sounds like you have just reasons to be released from the lease, but find out Good luck !!

    Answer by LeJane at 6:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • you may need to call your local housing authority to find out.

    Answer by jennifer588 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • You need a lawyer, this happened wiht me too, by myslef I would have been screwed with rent and an eviction, but they broke the lease agreements first. call code enforcement right away.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I should also add that my landlord lives 5 feet from me so my girls can no longer go outside to play unless I am right there which is not always easy since they both don't always want to go outside at the same time.

    Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I recieved an unlawful detainer because I refused to pay after a new landlord came in and raised everyone's rent $100 so when I went to court I brought pictures of the wires hanging out of the wall, the black widow spiders and nests inside the bathroom, the cracks in the walls, the only one exit from the place, the dirty water that came out of the faucet, etc. Their attorney felt it was wise for them to drop the unlawful detainer and let it be seeing as I already moved out.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I would think you would have to notify him in writing and give him an opportunity to make corrections. He might just let you go. have you asked?

    Answer by tootoobusy at 7:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • I think the mold situation is the most serious and what might help the most to be able to break the lease. A lot of lawyers will give a free initial consultaion or Google your state and the words "bar association" and look for pro bono (free) help. GL!!

    Answer by elizabr at 8:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010