my daughter had a temp of 100.8 she's eleven months old...

The dr told me to give her baby tylenol every four hours around the clock. I gave her some three hours ago and I checked her temp and its back to normal. Should I still give her the next dose or hold off?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep giving it for 24 hrs
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 6:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would hold off, I dont give them it unless they really need it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 6:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Hold off. 100.8 isn't dangerously high and if the first dose took care of it then there is no reason to re-dose. Honestly with my kids they only get meds for fevers over 102 (under the arm) unless it has been longer than 24 hours or they are in pain. Just a fever I will let ride rather then medicate. So I personally would hold off to see if it was even going to return. If it looks like it's going back up and you want to give a dose go for it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sorry but I wanted to add, there is no real benifit from tylenol other then it reduces the fever so its not going to hurt to not give it to her then give it to her again later if she needs it, I have always heard give it every four hours as needed.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 6:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• check her in an hour and decide. also, temps seem to go up during the night so continue to monitor her.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 6:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No, I wouldn't give her any more. I wouldn't have given a baby with only a temp of 100.8 anything unless baby seemed miserable (can't sleep etc.). The fever is there to help fight the infection. The only time I give meds is if it gets really high (104) or the baby is just miserable. Otherwise I just give extra fluids and extra cuddles!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• since her temp is only 100.8 i would hold off. i will always try everything first like luke warm bath, laying neckade with a light rag over their nono's and usually it goes down if all fails i give meds... they are 3 and 4 and healthy as they can ever be... good luck mama
    brandyluzdavid

Answer by brandyluzdavid at 6:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• o, I wouldn't give her any more. I wouldn't have given a baby with only a temp of 100.8 anything unless baby seemed miserable (can't sleep etc.). The fever is there to help fight the infection. The only time I give meds is if it gets really high (104) or the baby is just miserable. Otherwise I just give extra fluids and extra cuddles!

I sooo agree here... This is everything I have ever known and been taught.. Great advice right here. My mother raised 8 kids plus foster kids and she always told me the same thing... Good luck...
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 6:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• what i do is only give it to them if they have a fever. tylenol isnt really going to do anythign else for then unless she is getting high fever then you should keep giving it to her ever 4 to 6 hours if they are high but 100.8 isnt high so in my opinion what i would do is just give it to her and then wait to see if she gets a fecer again. if she does then go fo it and give it to her every 4 hours and if she doesnt then why over medicate her
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I wouldnt give it unless the fever is there. I honestly dont even bust out the tylenol until his fever is over 102 rectal. Thats hwat me pedi and a few nurse friend of mine recommend is waiting until then.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010