Would you name your baby girl something like this...

Tsenia or Ylenia?
Why would you or wouldnt you? Do you think people would have trouble pronouncing the childs name in the future? Would that be one of the main reasons you wouldnt? Husband likes these names but Im not so sure..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Baby Names

• I wouldn't, mostly because I don't want to have to explain the pronunciation/spelling for the rest of my kid's life! I have a hard enough time with the fact that everyone hears my oldest DD's name "Alice" as "Alex", so I have to say "No, Alice like Alice In Wonderland" every time. LOL. (Plus her middle name, Ryanne, is pronounced "REE-anne", but since it's a variation of her dad's name, Ryan, everyone says it that way. Ack. Oh well.)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I personally wouldn't, but to each his/her own.
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Never heard them before. Not up my alley.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't particularly like them. Ylenia less than the first, when I say it I feel more like saying Ylech that the name. If it means something to you and you like it, then go for it. I think people have gotten into the habit of tryiing a little too hard to be unique and the poor kids are the ones that suffer with strange, unspellable, mouthfuls for names. There are some really beautiful unique names and some really unique duds of a name.

My favorite example is a name my doctor friend encountered, he's an ob/gyn. A mother named her daughter La-ia. He politely said "Oh, Luh-ee-ah, that's a pretty name." to which the mother responded "NO! It's Luh-DASH-ee-ah! DUH!"

...Can you believe it??
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Luh-DASH-ee-ah!?? LOL omg wow, I would never have said it like that in a million years!!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think you should name your baby whatever you want to. But it might be wise to consider if the name might have any consequences for the child during their life.

That said, when I saw those names, I was unsure how to pronounce either one. I also thought they would be difficult to spell. Everytime this person is asked their name, they are also going to have to tell the person how to spell it. Probably they will get more than their share of strange looks, too. The will also constantly having to correct people on the pronunciation of their name, and run into teachers and others who will not even want to TRY to pronounce it.

There's nothing wrong with having an unusual name, in fact many of them are quite pretty. But there are I'm sure other alternatives that won't cause the child to be riddled with questions their whole life.

Good luck and best wishes for you and your new upcoming baby :>)
    ahhmericanwoman

Answer by ahhmericanwoman at 6:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• YEAH, right?!? She was using the punctuation as a phonetical element. Poor kid!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I'm not sure how to pronounce those names, so I'm not sure I would use them. I have enough problems getting people to pronounce my name correctly and mine is pronounced the exact way it's spelled. Yet, there are still problems, so I'm sensitive to unique names. In the long run, if it's something you love, go for it. You will have to explain to numerous people for years to come how to pronounce the names, but if you are fine with that, do it! :) I can't tell you how many doctor's that I see still can't pronounce my name correctly and at this point, I don't even correct them anymore.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 6:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He is russian & italian, and he says Tsenia is his favorite russian name and Ylenia is his favorite italian name..
    Tsenia is pronounced kind of like Senya, but the ts combo gives off a stronger s sound, kind of like in snake, if you know what I mean..
    He says Ylenia can be pronounced Yuh-lee-nee-ah or Yuh-Len-ya.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Since you asked specifically for what *I* would do...
    Sure, why not? I personally prefer interesting unique names to "vanilla" easy-to-read-and-pronounce names. Personally, i would give them really easy normal middle names! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 6:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010