When does your baby learn the different between who mamma is and who dada is??

My daughter is almost 8 months and she can say mamma and dada.. but im not too sure that she really knows who is who.. any tips on helping that out...? Or what age??

Thanks :)

stephany21

Asked by stephany21 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• *difference
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My dd is the same age as yours. She says both words too but the only way I know she knows the difference is because when she's upset or crying is the only time she says mama. I guess she just knows I'm the one that will comfort her. : ) Other than that I'm clueless.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• my son is about a year old and in the past 2 weeks it seems like he has been saying 'mama' and 'dada' to mean me or my fiance. At first i think mama meant 'come here... anyone' but now he says mama when i see him and dada when he sees his dad. This sounds kinda' corny... but you'll know when they begin to distinguish between you two.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My daughter is 10 months she has been saying mama and dada for while but just recently started relating it to someone. Now she says bubu to for her brother...it will just click one day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My daughter got it pretty early. She will scream Dada when DH comes home from work. When SS gets home from school she will call out for Baba. (we call him Bubba) and if she is at home and I am not in the room she will ask for Mama. She got it around 7 months. My nephew however, would say Mama to anyone that could help him. So everyone that he saw as comfort became Mama kinda like bloomsr said. He was nearly 14 months old before he got the connection to specific people.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2008