Have you ever been raped? Did you go to counseling or even report it? adult content

Statistics state that 1 in 4 college women have been raped or suffered attempted rape.
•84% of the women who are raped knew their assailants.
•57% of the rapes occurred on a date.
•Women ages 16-24 have 4 times higher risk of being raped than any other population group.
•1 in 12 male students surveyed had committed acts that met the legal definition of rape.

Lastly men, both straight and gay, suffered 10% of the sexual assaults reported in the US last year. (Almost all were raped by other men.)

However, 95% of these rape victims did not report the rape to officials.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My best friend n i were date raped once, we never told anyone about it till years later, we were both only 16 n felt responsible because we felt like if we had no business going out w/these guys.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No, but I have 1st hand experience of dealing with the trauma of a loved one who was.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes. I was about 17 at the time. I will admit that I started out wanting it, but I changed my mind and said no. The guy didn't stop once I said no, so, that constitutes rape. The only people I have told about it are an ex and my husband. I didn't report it because, like most others who have been through it, I felt partially responsible.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I used to be a Victim's advocate for victims of domestic and sexual violence. I was also raped and never told anybody..
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• yes i have i was 14 yrs old and i barely knew the GUYS and i reported it after attempted suicide 4 months later, i thought i was pregnant,
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 6:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I was at 14. It was a bunch of high school kids. I didn't report it because I felt guilty. I felt like it was my fault for running away from home. The streets are not a place for teens. It happened a few months later again by a 37 yo male. I thought I would do the right thing by going to the hospital and doing a rape kit. They told my mom I wasn't being truthful because there was no semen...a lot of good that did. Doesn't matter that I got away before he got that far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My Best friend and I were both raped (by the same guy) when we were 15/16. We were both already in therapy at that point, and I don't know if she ever told her therapist. However I know I did not. Where we are from if a girl is raped, she will most likely be blamed. I never told anyone, I know she didn't tell her parents either, because the punishment we would have brought on ourselves would have been worse than the rape. Honestly, it wasn't the rape that really affected my life, it was the stalking which came later (same man, few years later) which really affected me. However, I didn't report that either, simply because I refused to allow it to affect my life in that way. I have never let those things change me or how I lived my life - and never will. I think each woman has to do what is right for HER, reporting it and fighting long term isn't always what is best for the woman.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Anon are you okay... What happened?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• nope
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sabrina you would be surprised how much that affects you... Sometimes its just little things... But you find that they affect you in bigger ways... I will be praying for you!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010