Chi's making a honking sound

My 5 month old chi has been making a honking sound every now and then lately. When I call him over, he comes to me, but continues to make the sound. When I pick him up he stops after a few seconds. I was thinking it could be kennel cough...but he hasn't been around any other dogs. The only other animal we have in the house is our cat and she doesn't get out. I'm calling the vet tomorrow but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas? I don't want my baby to be sick!

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 6:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pets

• A lot of little dogs get it; it's like a reverse sneeze. My friend's dog gets it when he's excited.
    I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but still call the vet just to be sure.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It could be kennel cough-it is very contagious thru the air, so a dog in the next yard over could have it. But it could also be a reverse sneeze. I have a silky terrier that does it all the time-especially when he is excited.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I didn't know that kennel cough could be caught from the dog next door. Her dogs are always making weird noises and she doesn't take care of them. I better take him to the vet asap.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• NO Worries! Even though, i am sure it is kinda Freaking you Out- My Chi/Yorkie does it alot! i have taken her to the vet 3 times over it; it is a Backwards Sneeze- They also have a very small Trachea & it causes them to do this- Call the vet just so they can reassure you that everything is O.K. but my baby, Thumbelina is 8 & has been doing this since she was 9 weeks old- i usually just rub her Throat or her side and she calms down- Try not to panic when it is happening b/c it makes them do it worse! Wishing you lots of luck-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have a spaniel that does the reverse sneeze thing a lot. It sounds like honking or snorting. Kennel cough is usually more of a true cough and comes from a deeper place than the sneeze, but I'd still check with a vet especially due to the neighbor's dogs.
    lynneb4

Answer by lynneb4 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• aww
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:48 PM on Sep. 20, 2010