Should prisons have government-sanctioned tattoo shops to prevent the spread of Hep C and HIV?

http://www.slate.com/id/2267285/?gt1=38001

I can't believe this is even up for debate in the news. IMO, tatoos are a luxury and a privelege. What do you think?

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No way, I don't think that any luxuries should be offered in prison. Why should the tax payers fund playtime for the inmates?  If you want a tat, get one when you get out.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• PALEEEEZEEEE. I worked in a prison for 13 years. Most prisoners are already HIV pos and/or have Hep. C amongst other things. Then why don't we offer Prostistutes for them so they don't Bang each other and pass diseases that way?? Oh wait they don't have sex with each other!! Rigggghhhhtttt..................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• absolutely not. my taxes are already paying for them to have 3 meals every day and a place to stay. I'll be damned if I'm paying for them to have safe places to have their gang tats done. If they want to be stupid and get a prison tattoo despite the risks, that's on them.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No, it is a prison. The whole system needs reform to help fund their care and expense. Make them work in a tatoo parlor, yes . Provide services, NO.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Oh please. I'll eat my right arm if that actually passes.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• JEEZ I know let's just give them a mini mall..and bar while were at it!

ridiculous..hell no
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• hahahaha anonymous
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'd be willing to buy a belt sander ~ to remove any and all prison tats.

As for medical care, I firmly believe that prisoners should have to PAY for theirs, just like everyone who didn't break the law, works their butt off to provide for themselves/their family, and those who work and can't afford insurance and end up doing without. I'd be fine if their families paid for their care (if they wanted to) or with private donations being used, but otherwise, I honestly wouldn't care if prisoners died because there was no free care/taxpayer paid for care available.

Prison is supposed to be punishment. It should also be a place that teaches people how to live in the 'real world' ~ the world where you have to pay for things you want as well as things you need, or do without.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• LMAO! NO! IF someone wants a tattoo it's up to THEM to make sure they are getting it from a clean needle... If that option isn't available then they shouldn't be getting tattoos! My DH has "prison tats" and will be the first to tell you this is just a stupid thing to even discuss!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• tattoos are not necessary, they only get them to show who belongs to whom...at least thats my understanding...and nobody is going to want to hire the guys with tattos all over the face,neck...it looks nasty IMO....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 6:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010