What can you tell me about postpartum depression?

Being that I'm about 2 weeks out from my due date, I've become really concerned about the possibility of post postpartum depression.

maria1613

Asked by maria1613 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I never experienced it, but here's a great link that might help you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/postpartum-depression/ds00546

If you do experience it, do get help. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and there is treatment out there. It'll help you get back to being the mom you want to be.

Best wishes to you!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 7:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The sooner you get help. The better I had it and went in right away couldn't eat I. Was feeling beside myself and couldn't feel happiness I loved my baby just couldn't handle anything baby blues go away but its normal if your feeling exteme saddness that's when you know
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Breastfeeding helps. Placentophagy is said to help as well. A midwife or doula in your area probably offers encapsulation.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Talk this over with your SO and the professionals helping you with your delivery so they are aware of your concerns. The baby blues pass in a few days/weeks. Depression is longer lasting. Take care of yourself after you deliver and remember to relax, eat well, and rest when you can. Many women do not experience any depression. Best wishes and congrats on the baby!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ater my first child I was fine. After my second child all I wanted to do was cry & I had no idea why, nothing was making me happy. I did end up getting on medication, eventually the depression did go away & I am no longer on meds.
    nettyg

Answer by nettyg at 11:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010