Would you take your 6th grader to a funeral for a classmate's father?

The father of a boy in my son's class died in an accident and the funeral is tomorrow and my son wants to go. We didn't know him at all. I am not sure it is appropriate for us to attend a funeral that we don't know the family.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 7:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• If your son want's to be there, then yes, he should be. Funerals aren't about if you knew the victim, it's about supporting and aiding the family. If your son shows a want to be their for his class mate then he should be there. It shows a great level of compassion and love on his part and should be encouraged!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• if ur son wants to go , maybe he wants to give his condolesence to his friend, i would let my son go,kids know whats going on.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Is he friends with the boy? Maybe he wants to support his friend. I imagine a lot of his friends and there families will be there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If it is open to the public or if your child is his friend YES it is appropriate.
    If you are unsure if it is open or just family call the funeral home.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Go with him, tell him what to say to his friend, and be proud of what a caring child he is.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son asked if we could go.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes I think it would be a great comfort for the boy whose father died. Like a shoulder to cry on. Kids need that too.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 7:52 AM on Sep. 17, 2010