If a vehicle is towed do they ask for a signature?

I sold a car about 5 mo. ago and the other day I got a letter certified letter from a garage saying that I owe a couple thousand dollars for storage on the vehicle. I called and told them that I sold it about 5 mo. They said that they towed it about 4 mos. ago and it has been in storage since then and that my name was registered to this vehicle I told them that I don't even own it they said well sorry but someone has to pay the bill.
So I up to the county clerks and tell him about it and he looks on the computer and it shows that the tags had been cancelled and everything, he ask if it went out of state and I said yes the I and the other couple came in here and sign the back of the title and turned in my tags and he said that he would fax a copy of where it is showing that the tags and everything has been cancelled?
What I 'm wondering do towing people ask for signatures and if so do you think that they signed my name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• they do not need to ask for a signature before towing. I think if the car had been signed over to the people who sold it to you, then it is their responsibility. Send the proper information to the towing company and if they continue to try to charge you, you can take them to court.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 7:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The PP is right. If the car was parked in a tow zone, and the new owners weren't in it, it would have just been towed. Most likely, they were not there when it was towed. However, if they were and they gave your info, they are in a lot of legal trouble when you turn them in.
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 8:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no they dont need a signature to be towed.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I've never had a tow company ask for a signiture. I use AAA for any car problems..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If you have a copy of the signed over title and dmv paperwork copy it and fax it to them saying you aren't responsible. It will have the names of who is suppose to own the car and who is responsible. Be sure to tell them any other threats against you to pay the pill will be noted and forwarded to a lawyer if they continue.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I dont know however before paying anything consult an attorney
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 8:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No they don't get a signature, cars are towed at times without the owner there.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2010