Why is it that people think they know everything on this site?

I swear Ive never run into so many know it alls! They just run to a search engine and give you some link (which is usually wikipedia, or some off the wall random site) that states the info just as they want it to. Nevermind the fact that it isnt anywhere near a reputable source of information. Not everyone is like that on this site, but by golly there are more and more I run into every time I come on here. It is like they have nothing better to do than to contradict people and surf the net!

This wouldn't be as much of an issue if people would just state their side and move on, no being pushy about it. Or accuse you of being a bad mother (of course they don't outright say it that way, but they might as well.) because you dont see it there way. Formula vs breast, Rear facing vs forward, c-section vs natural, vaccinating or not...give me a break! Sure info is nice when asked for, but you dont have to shove it down our throats!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I honestly prefer someone's personal opinion/experience on the stuff that I ask about as well. Sometimes links they provide are pretty useful, though!

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• This is after all a debate section!!! if you don't contradict there is no debate!!!

Answer by older at 7:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I provide VERY reputable links and do so to educate. I don't care what you or anyone else does with their child as long as they do take care of it. However, if I can educate even one mom that has absolutely no clue about anything and has not researched on her own nor knows anyone that has had the experience to talk to...I am glad to post my opinions and links for them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sometimes people feel attacked if someone posts an opposite opinion when there is no attack, it is just a difference of opinion.

All the moms could probably be nicer in their comments, but also all mom could grow a thicker skin and not get upset over everything.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thank you for sharing your opinion. I respectfully disagree with parts of it though. Though I do agree this isn't necessarily a 'reputable' site for information it is a reliable source for opinions and experience form other mothers. I agree some people are 'pushy' or 'passionate' but isn't that what makes this different and fun. If you aren't looking for a debate then I suggest you steer clear of the hot button topics such as the ones you mentioned. In the mean time perhaps you to should take your own advice and relax. Just enjoy this site for what it is or you always have to option to remove your account. I hope you have a better evening.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I said much the same in a journal post I wrote a long time ago about what I called "Yellow Blogging".

I'm not an expert at ANYTHING, and all I can give is my opnion, but if I post a link to back myself up, I try to stick to what I consider "reputable" sources, like the Mayo Clinic, or I post at least 2 references that don't use each other as sources.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i think people that try to act like know it alls about a certain subject and are talking down to you ..then go and provide links are only making themselves look like asses because to me that says.."yeah..i bet your dumb ass just googled that tid bit of info before you handed it to me with all your words"..i always have to laugh when someone acts highly educated in certain areas and then they are providing links. If you know so much about it..then simply tell us
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• ..not everyone is that way..but usually when they are being ugly to you..i think that about them
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Some people see their point of view as the be all, end all and that no other opinions are worth considering. I try to stay open minded, but there are certain things that really tick me off. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yeah, the uppity ones get to me on occasion. If someone has really done their research and has proof to back up their claim, I am always happy to admit that I was wrong. But too many people state websites that have such wrong information that has no research built into it and I'm just stunned when I see it being used as "proof". I tend to just ignore those posts, honestly.

I also am ticked off when people don't read what is being asked either. I asked a question earlier, gave detailed information, and still people responded with suggestions that pretty much took the information right from my question. Please, read the question, then if you have nothing to add, move on!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 7:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I appreciate when people post LINKS. I trust actual information ,myself. Why would I accept some old wives tales here? LOL. Here is an example: People wonder if they can get a perm when they are pregnant and someone says ,NO don't get a perm or your hair will fall out when you are pregnant. I mean---THAT is so silly!
    If I want real information, I always want a LINK.
    But then,I don't ask questions. LOL. I just answer them. WITH links. hehe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010