how can i incourage my son to potty train?

he just doesnt want to go in the potty his my first and i dont even know how to go for it. his 2yr old and is not potty trained his already wetting over his diapers so i find him al wet since he pees a lot. so i really want to potty train him the huggies size 6 are very tight on him and the pull ups well he doesnt really like them he keeps complaining that they make him itchy from the sides any tips on how i can do it to potty train him

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• How can I incourage my son to potty train?- My first thought was With an E! lol (I'm so getting voted down for that I mean no harm though I am the worst speller ever)

You can try reward charts and prizes. there are some great books and toys out there to help as well. My son did really well with the Elmo doll and show.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You should try having him go around the house naked. He will feel the sensation that he has to go pee. He will probably have some accidents but it won't take very long.
    jrock75

Answer by jrock75 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I only had a girl. So what I am telling you s secondhand but it worked for this friend of mine. They would put fruit loops in the toilet and have their boys try to hit the target. Maybe it would work for you. Hope so.
    CATsMom362

Answer by CATsMom362 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have potty trained a lot of children, I have an in home daycare, first , ask yourself, does he know when he's going, do you think he can control himself? Does he go at least 2 hours being dry? Does he know if he's had a BM or not? If yes to all these, Don't put him in a diaper or pull-up, put him in undies, not the thick kind ( only use diapers at nap and bedtime) Start telling him he's a big boy and now has to use the potty. NEVER ask him if he has to go, just say, time to go potty and put him on, make him sit, use some tissue paper to hold down his penis, so he doesn't over spray, let him sit for 5 min. If he pees, clap and get very excited. tell him he's a big boy and give him a prize. I use white choc. chips or M$M's, they work great, 3 for peeing and 10 for poops.(bribery is a great thing at this age), then slowly ween of the prizes. expect 5-8 accidents the first week. It will get better each day. Good luck
    cardinal58

Answer by cardinal58 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ha! I told you I would get voted down! Someone can't take a joke. I was serious I am the worst speller ever though. I would not survive without spell check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have three sons, all of whom are potty trained. It is my personal oppinion that 2 is a bit young. My boys were all 3 or very very close to 3 when I started. They each took literally a weekend to train. Children need to reach certain developmental milestones before they are ready. If you make it an issue, or a battle you will lose! Once they know this makes you crazy you are doomed. Never scold, punish or belittle a child for not potty training or having accidents. You can encourage him merely by placing a potty chair in your home, reading books about training to him, but this is a personal thing, and should be in his own time. Trust me, if you let him make the choice, he will train easily and sooner. Good luck to you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• lol anonymous i just noticed that lol i didnt even know i spelled it wrong but look atleast you got one votes up so somebody else other than you noticed
    Alejandra10

Comment by Alejandra10 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010