Does your child talk back?

My parents were at the Football Hall of Fame and a young boy about 7 or 8 yells out loud at his dad "I told you to leave me alone and stop bothering me!" So loud people stopped and stared. His father's response was "so what you are telling me is you want some time to yourself?" Now I don't believe in children talking back and I didn't do it and I am not going to allow it. When my daughter is older and has a valid point to make yes we will talk but I am her parent and she will do what I say. Do you allow your children at any age to say what they want?

Whoistheboss

Asked by Whoistheboss at 11:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• My oldest son who is 4 now is starting to talk back to me and I hate it!!! I don't know why he is doing it. And I absolutely do not accept it, but he still does it. I don't know how to break it. So, yeah my son talks back but no I do not accept it!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Oh, gosh no. It's ok to have an opinion, and it has to be expressed properly. Yelling at anyone "I told you to do..." is not acceptable at any age anywhere, children or adults. I am your parent. Here's the rule. You are entitled to have an opinion, if you express it appropriately, though you still have to follow the rule.
    On the side note, this father sounds like doing active listening. He is probably trying. Let's hope it's going to work for him. No one is perfect, but people who try is making a first step to be a better person.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 11:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Well see I understand they will try you, it is what they have to do........ LOL I tried it and my dad shut it down really quick and I am 34 and my brother is 29 and there is still only so much we will say back to our parents. My daughter is really me ALL over again with a little more attitude and she just turned one and if you tell her to stop or no, she likes to hit or talk back in her baby talk but I say in a tone she knows I am serious as all hell that she can't talk back and that hitting will not fly either. For me I know that I have to establish it right now what I will and will not accept from her.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 11:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• ProudMommie87---- If your son is four and you have other children, you have to get him now so the others will see they will be punished if they try it. If he talks back, take his favorite toy, or no dessert until he learns. I don't know if you spank but if you do, then a swat to the behind might be necessary, not really hard just so he knows you mean business.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 11:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My 10 yr old son does @ xs & some r worse than others. But do I allow it...NO, does he get reprimanded 4 it yes.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I wish you best of luck on getting child to do as you say all the time!! If you figure out how , PLEASE let me know. lol. Some kids are naturally laid back, however most kids (mine included) have a strong opinion on things and enjoy expressing it, at the most inoportune times! lol. If my child told me to leave him alone/stop bothering him, I would've said: "So what you're saying is that you want to go home, and spend alone time in your room without tv, toys, treats, etc.? Or apologise to me, lose your attitude, and enjoy the day? Make a choice and make it now".
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• What works for my 3.1/2 year old is when she talks rude, I just calmly tell her that we don't accept talking rude, and when she's ready to be polite, I can listen to her. She still does it, but she knows that if she talks badly, we won't talk to her. This works great for me because when her friends are acting up, she'll just leave. I used to take her favorite toys away, but I stopped when she started the same thing with her friends and dolls.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 11:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2008