I think I am depressed. How can find out for sure?

I don't have insurance yet. I will in 3 months. Other ways I can find out?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• I have thyroid issues and YEP......I was shocked to learn that a thyroid imbalance can make you feel depressed and cause minor aches and pains.

I saw a doctor last year and I filled out the little ( LONG ) questionaire very truthfully and he said," I dont know why you are here to see me. You state you dont have any of the symptoms, so what could be causing the feeling of anxiety?"

I said," Thats why Im here, you are the doctor! I just am short tempered. I KNOW Im not depressed, but Im on high blood pressure medicaion and my thyroid has made me gain this weight and....." he stopped me and said..." You have thyroid trouble? Hyper or hypo?"

That was it! I was like WTH! Seriously? he said, Yes.. thyroid trouble..slightly elevated can cause issues!! Depression, anxiety....etc...

When you can.....get checked for thyroidism.....GOOD LUCK to ya!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• There are tests on line, but they can be off by a lot. There are some wonderful groups here on CafeMom to help you figure it out and help you through it. Just search for depression in the CafeMom search bar. If you are having a real problem and need help before your insurance kicks in, then call your local free clinic and ask them if they know where you can go to talk to someone before your insurance kicks in. If you don't have a local free clinic, of they don't have an answer for you, call your local hospital and ask them (if they have a psych ward, they would have the best answer for you, hopefully.)

If you think you have a depression problem, then there is most likely something going one. Could be PMDD or serious depression or even a thyroid disorder. Get the help you can, you deserve to be happy.
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 8:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am not sure, but I can tell you how to fix it. Start focusing on your thoughts- which determine your emotions. Control and change what you are thinking. No pill, therapist or magic formula will make a difference until you master realizing that it is up to you to determine how happy or miserable you will be. It has nothing to do with circumstances. Be grateful and positive in your thoughts. Pain is a part of life, don't feed it and dwell in self pity. Depression is "all about me" . Stay out of yourself, get busy and help others. Life is too short to live in self willed misery. Inspite of "how you feel" fight it, change your mind and find your peace. Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Google for a depression test. I bet something will come up.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Do you want to cry all the time? Feel down about stuff? Not want to do anything? Not want to go anywhere see anyone not even get dressed then you probably are depressed
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Do you want to cry all the time? yes
    Feel down about stuff?yes
    Not want to do anything? most odf the time
    the other no...My question is how can get help?
    JacobsMommy05

Comment by JacobsMommy05 (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• A thyroid disorder could make you depressed?
    JacobsMommy05

Comment by JacobsMommy05 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010