toddler curseing?

my 24 month old has a veryhuge vocabulary i dont cuss around her but however my husbands brother (her uncles) say stuff all the time i dont want to keep them out of her life but it really upsets me im afraid of putting her in daycare because of what she might say i am caucasion her father is african american so they also say the n word my daughter is mixed but i dont want her saying that word eaither what do i do

aggheff08

Asked by aggheff08 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i tell my kids that whatever is a grown up word and if they say it they will get in timeout. then if they say it they get in time out. i don't have a problem with it.... only happened a couple of times.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• just don't make too big of a deal about it. tell the kid not to say the word(s) anymore, and let that be that. if you get angry, the kid will think they're bad, instead of thinking they did something bad, and if you laugh, they'll think it's funny.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 8:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ask uncle kindly to watch his words around the child. How hard is that.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• mom2twobabes--
    She can ask, but if he is anything like my ex hubby's family, they will just look at me, look at my son and say "I'll say what the F@$k I want". Just because you ask, doesn't mean they will do what you ask.

As for me, this is still a challenge. My 11 year old has autism and thanks to said ex-hubby and family, he swears fluently.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i have asked no luck at all they still do it and laugh when she repeats them it makes me so mad i useally end up getting her and leaving
    aggheff08

Comment by aggheff08 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• but really it doesn't hurt and out of respect of not only you and your SO but also your daughter. it is a big deal and children do pick up a lot. i don't swear around my son nither does my husband but when anyone does come out and says something i'm sure to let them know to watch there mouth. and what they say around my son... i don't care how they talk around there own kids but not around mine.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• OMG well thats just pure stupidity and I cant tolerate that. My head would explode if I was around that type of ignorance!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Speak to your SO alone and explain why you are concerned and what you need him to do to help. You can't make him listen, but you can at least know you asked. Whenn you hear your daughter say something she shouldn't, take her aside and explain it isn't a nice word and is only for grown-ups. Don't draw too much attention when she says something, bad, though, since you don't want to encourage the bad words by giving her attention--delicate balance.
    newmommy0409

Answer by newmommy0409 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• umm... time outs for cursing is my cure
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• no no no that a bad bad boy / girl
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 6:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010